It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Bears to look at Couch

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Their quarterback situation a mess, the Chicago Bears will bring in Tim Couch for a physical and a tryout Friday.

Chicago starter Rex Grossman is out for the season with a knee injury and backup Jonathan Quinn has struggled in two starts. Rookie Craig Krenzel and Chad Hutchinson, who started nine games for the Cowboys as a rookie in 2002, are also in the mix.
Couch, first pick in the 1999 draft by the Browns, was released in June and signed with the Packers.

But bothered by a sore arm and a difficulty grasping the offense, he completed just 11 of 34 passes for 96 yards in three preseason games for Green Bay and was cut Sept. 5.

"He was injured early. He's well now, so we want to give him a physical and see exactly where he is. Let him work out and see exactly where he is there and kind of go from there," Bears coach Lovie Smith said Thursday.

"Hopefully he will have a great workout and we'll try to do something with him. But right now it's nothing more than a physical and a workout."

Couch started 59 games for the Browns, passing for 64 touchdowns and 11,131 yards, but his $7.6 million contract for 2004 made him expendable when the Browns signed free agent Jeff Garcia to be their starter.

While with the Browns, Couch led a comeback against the St. Louis Rams when Smith was their defensive coordinator. Cleveland didn't win that game but Smith took notice.

"We all know who Tim Couch is and what his background is. I'm intrigued by that," Smith said.

The Bears have been fighting injuries since the first day of training camp, but they're taking a look at a player who was not healthy in the preseason.

"When he left there (Green Bay), he was injured, so he did have a problem of course throwing the ball with his shoulder," Smith said.

"We've had our share of injuries. Guys do come back and they get stronger. Hopefully that's the case with Tim. He's supposed to be well now and hopefully his arm has healed up and we'll see the old Tim."

Associated Press

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I hope he does come back well, as I could use a 2nd QB in my keeper league...

join