It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Dean's List: ALCS Musings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
As the Red Sox trailed the Yankees, 17-8, in bottom of the seventh in game three of the ALCS, I tried desperately to believe...

There had to be a way for them to come back. And why not? This was the year, wasn't it? The deficit was nine, so the notion of a homerun cycle instantly came to mind. I quickly reconsidered. A grand slam followed by a three-run homer followed by a two-run homer followed by a solo shot wouldn't be possible. On to the next idea. What about nine solo homers? Almost immediately, I conceded that this was equally unreasonable, if not downright ludicrous...

Like countless Red Sox fans before me, I began to lose faith. My whole line of thinking was blatantly off-base. I had to think outside of the box, beyond the humble confines of the game of baseball. How can a single team, down nine runs, defeat an entire Empire? The question haunted me like an 85-year curse. Minutes passed, and still no answer. Desperation set in, but a glimmer of hope finally surfaced. Then it hit me: a Dynasty...

I was convinced. A Dynasty could surely beat an Empire. Moments later, it all began to unfold right before my eyes. Tom Brady gallantly emerged from the dugout and lofted a perfect spiral into the hands of a streaking Troy Brown, deep into the centerfield Triangle. Touchdown Boston. An extra point later, Brady and the Sox were down three. The Yankees retired the side, but the Sox returned the favor in the top of the eighth behind the stellar relief of Tedy Bruschi. In the bottom of the inning, Adam Vinatieri booted a 72-yard field goal over the Green Monster, over the Coke sign, and onto the Mass Pike. Tie game. Bruschi and the defense held for a second straight inning, and it all came down to the last of the ninth...

As Viniatieri approached the field to attempt the winning kick, everything went black. Suddenly I found myself tossing and turning, drenched in a cold sweat. It was all just a cruel dream, a nightmare of record-breaking proportions. The Patriots hadn't saved the day, but neither had the Red Sox. The Yankees were winners, 19-8, and their 3-0 series lead became my ultimate wake-up call...

How can 25 men draw strength from three women? As the Red Sox found themselves down three games to none, they turned to an unlikely source. Their backs were against the wall, but they weren't about to quit. "Cowboy Up" wouldn't do. That was old news, like Little and Boone, forever lost in the annals of 2003...

The Sox were getting desperate. They needed inspiration, something soft enough to touch their hearts but strong enough to will them to an improbable ALCS victory...

Then it happened. Who else but Kevin Millar performed a miracle of words that would instantly become their much-need rallying cry. "Someday somebody's gonna make you wanna turn around and say good-bye," crooned Millar. "Until then, baby, are you gonna let them hold you down and make you cry? Don't you know? Things can change, things'll go your way, if you hoooooooold on for one day." Right then and there, the players began to rally. Some cried, others cheered, while some just took in the moment. It was just that sweet...

They were convinced. Wilson Phillips was right: if they could just "Hold On" for one more day, things really could go there way. True to their cheer, the rejuvenated Sox did just that, scrapping and clawing their way to three straight victories. And as their date with destiny draws near, Millar and the Red Sox aren't just holding on - they're showing no signs of letting go...

The boot fit, so Curt Schilling wore it like a champion in game six of the ALCS. "Tonight was God's work," Schilling reflected after the game. "I'm so proud of these guys. This is unbelievable. There's no reason we can't go out there and do it tomorrow." And as clear as the message across his shirt - Why Not Us? - Schilling made believers out of an entire city...

This time around, Schilling did what he set out to do in game one: "make 55,000 people shut up." He brought the silence, and the Nation enjoyed every second of it. Somewhere in England, Depeche Mode must be rooting for the Red Sox...

[Edited on 10/20/04 by deanchristopher]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
whoever goes on to the world series they will be 2 very tired, worn out, emotionally drained teams, we have had 2 fantastic dramatic league championship series with all the managers pulling out all the stops. the way these teams are playing reminds me of a good heavyweight fight....the last team standing will win it all

Ben

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
both series are terrfic like tj, their bull pens on both sides will be worn out and tired, its going to be a series of momentum

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Dean,

Excellent writng there, old chap!

But I have to ask, what were you smoking on Saturday...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
No smoking of any kind - just piece after piece of Nicorette Gum. That's the good stuff.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by deanchristopher
No smoking of any kind - just piece after piece of Nicorette Gum. That's the good stuff.

Ah, if only I could learn that, I'm addicted to the nic, for sure.

But you gotta be happy with tonight's outing...

:party-smiley-018:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I couldn't be happier. As spectacular as this series has been - whether you phrase it in terms of comebacks, collapses, or even curses - I think the fall-out from it will be equally if not more dramatic.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Yeah, the boss is gonna go schitzo on this team, eh?

I'm not a real big baseball fan, but this is just something special here. I liken the Yankees, Lakers and Cowboys to the "Axis of evil"...and they are all getting thier due this year, it seems.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Agreed. The Empires aren't striking back very fell. In fact, they seem to be crumbling.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
And so they have...

new topics

top topics

join