It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Dean's List: Amusing Musings for October 11, 2004

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
To paraphrase 1980's hair band Skid Row, it's "Nineteen and Life" for the New England Patriots. Their time is now, and it's nineteen and life to go. It was a day when the Houston Astros' nineteen-game home winning streak came to a screeching halt at the hands of the never-say-die Atlanta Braves in the National League Division Series. And it was a day when the aptly named Patriots continued their quest to free the NFL from the ever-tightening grip of Parity with a record-breaking nineteenth straight victory at the expense of the once-perfect Miami Dolphins...

Houston's mark was impressive, especially in a pennant race, and especially in a game where Parity is a way of life. But New England has done it at home, on the road, and on the neutral grounds of the NFL championship game. Men of quiet confidence, these Patriots have boldly gone where no team in NFL history has ever gone. These Patriots have defied history. These Patriots have transcended feats of Dynasties past with unparalleled calm and humility. Most importantly, these Patriots have defied the state of modern professional football that virtually forbids dominance. And they're not done yet. Like the '03-'04 Detroit Pistons of the NBA, the '03-'04 New England Patriots are a paradoxical potion of power and finesse, a miraculous marvel of individuality and teamwork. They are insolent in the daunting face of adversity, stubbornly strong in the heat of battle. They are not a team of flash, hype or hoopla. They are grounded, deserving and heroic, a throwback to the 30's and 40's when the Chicago Bears reigned as the original Monsters of the Midway. They are - quite simply - an improbable Dynasty in an age of Parity...

During "The NFL Today" pre-game show this past Sunday, CBS anchor Greg Gumbel got a little too carried away with his preview of tonight's Monday Night Football game between Steve McNair's Tennessee Titans and Brett Favre's Green Bay Packers. "Both questionable quarterbacks will start," vowed Gumbel. But without question, the only thing more questionable than the health of Favre and McNair is Gumbel's unsubstantiated guarantee of their game-time status...

Apparently, Dick Enberg is a big Zach Thomas fan. At the top of the Patriots/Dolphins telecast, the veteran play-by-play man exclaimed, "You can not go around the league and talk about the Dolphins defense without someone asking, 'Is there any better linebacker anywhere?'" I don't know where Dick's been, and I certainly don't know who he's been talking to. Because there is a better linebacker somewhere. In Baltimore. In the person of Ray Lewis...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Enberg's broadcast partner Dan Dierdorf play George Papadapolis on "Webster"? I've never really bought the whole Alex Karras theory. And wasn't Emanuel Lewis the same guy as Gary Coleman aka Arnold from "Different Strokes." Or am I confusing "The Facts of Life" here?

Patriots tight end Daniel Graham posted a Jerome Bettis-like stat line in the Miami game, turning one touch - a first-quarter reception - into a one-yard touchdown. It's been that kind of year for Graham, who's been red hot in the red zone with five touchdowns on just twelve catches. In a related story, workhorse-turned-glory back Jerome Bettis has been enjoying a similarly "productive" campaign to for the 4-1 Steelers. The Bus' six rushing touchdowns through five weeks are impressive, but his 1.8 yards per rush on 36 carries is nothing short of an abomination. Talk about opportunistic, and that's putting it lightly for the 32-year-old load. While unheralded starter Deuce Staley has been moving the chains for Pittsburgh all season with 108 rushes for 489 and but one lonely touchdown, Bettis has become nothing more than a glorified garbage man, cashing in at the one yard line and repeatedly "Steeling" six from the Deuce...

Comparisons don't always make sense on the surface, but they really don't have to. Take Bettis and Buffalo's Drew Bledsoe. One's a pocket quarterback, and the other's a "power" running back. Other than the fact that they're both twelve-year veterans of the NFL, they don't seem to have much in common. Or do they? When he wasn't busy getting sacked last year, the gimpy Bledsoe rushed for 29 yards on 24 carries, good for 1.2 yards per carry. And despite a whopping five rushing touchdowns through Week Four of this season, the aging Steeler had been doing his best Bledsoe impersonation with a 22 yards on eighteen carries, good for - you guessed it - 1.2 yards per carry...

Now take Manny Ramirez and John Madden. Again, they don't appear to have much in common, other than greatness in their respective sports. But let's have a look at the numbers. In 2004, the Red Sox slugger had a .400 on-base percentage. So by the same token, it wouldn't be incorrect to say that Manny - much like his babbling counterpart - is off-base 60 percent of the time...

What do the Mannings think about San Diego now? Snubbing the Chargers can't seem like such a good call after all for young Eli. San Diego has a bevy of young offensive talent complimenting LaDainian Tomlinson - better known as the Best Player in Football - and a universally shocking 3-2 record to back it up. While fourth-year quarterback Drew Brees is reaping all the benefits as the unlikely leader of the San Diego offense, young Eli must idle quietly behind the rejuvenated Kurt Warner in New York with no live snaps in sight. Even if - or more likely when - Manning does take the reigns of the Giant offense in '04, he'll have a hard act to follow in spite of his great talent, strong work ethic and famous last name. Go Chargers...

Dallas coach Bill Parcells has a daughter named Dallas. For the record, Bill's other two daughters go by Suzy and Jill, not New York and New England, his previous two coaching stops...

[Edited on 10/11/04 by deanchristopher]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by deanchristopher
there is a better linebacker somewhere. In Baltimore. In the person of Ray Lewis...

Or, arguably, Lavar Arrington. Of course, he's not actually playing right now...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Enberg's broadcast partner Dan Dierdorf play George Papadapolis on "Webster"? I've never really bought the whole Alex Karras theory. And wasn't Emanuel Lewis the same guy as Gary Coleman aka Arnold from "Different Strokes." Or am I confusing "The Facts of Life" here?

And DeNiro and Pacino are the same guy...

Now take Manny Ramirez and John Madden. Again, they don't appear to have much in common, other than greatness in their respective sports. But let's have a look at the numbers. In 2004, the Red Sox slugger had a .400 on-base percentage. So by the same token, it wouldn't be incorrect to say that Manny - much like his babbling counterpart - is off-base 60 percent of the time...

What do the Mannings think about San Diego now? Snubbing the Chargers can't seem like such a good call after all for young Eli. San Diego has a bevy of young offensive talent complimenting LaDainian Tomlinson - better known as the Best Player in Football - and a universally shocking 3-2 record to back it up. While fourth-year quarterback Drew Brees is reaping all the benefits as the unlikely leader of the San Diego offense, young Eli must idle quietly behind the rejuvenated Kurt Warner in New York with no live snaps in sight. Even if - or more likely when - Manning does take the reigns of the Giant offense in '04, he'll have a hard act to follow in spite of his great talent, strong work ethic and famous last name. Go Chargers...

Amen borther, amen! i hope the bolts make it to the Super Bowl before the Giants do....

Dallas coach Bill Parcells has a daughter named Dallas. For the record, Bill's other two daughters go by Suzy and Jill, not New York and New England, his previous two coaching stops...

But Buffalo's cheerleaders are known as the Jills...

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
the common thread between the patriots great run and the other undefeated streaks in the past are that they are the best coached and best prepared teams in the league week in and week out

Ben

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The pats are winning so much because of the new addition of dillion, but that isnt the main reason hwy they are winning its cause of beautiful coaching, and because of team playing.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
how come nobody gives credit to tom brady?

Ben

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
You do have to be impressed with how well the chargers are doing this season, its about time, with a back in LT there was just a question of when brees could get it together, and now its the time, i guess that drafting rivers really kicked brees in his ass.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by freak29
how come nobody gives credit to tom brady?

He is the model of consistnecy, and he isn't flashy, not the best fantasy QB, but, hey, he's the best QB playing today. Who else can lay claim to 2 Super Bowl MVP'S?

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I'm with you on Brady. He's getting his due, but there are still way too many doubters out there. He's Montana, and Peyton is Marino. And as history tells us, Montana - with four Super Bowls to his name - has the greater legacy.

Last November, when the Patriots were 7-2 and Brady was winning games with 4th and 5th-string wide receivers and the "great" Antowain Smith running the ball, I was annoyed1 enough with the public perception of Brady to write this (deans-list.net...):

"Imagine a 24-year-old, second-year NFL quarterback going 11-3 in his first year as a starter en route to his leading his franchise to an improbable word championship. What if that same quarterback carried his team to a 9-7 record while leading the league in touchdown passes in his third NFL campaign? Would you be impressed if the exact same player, now 26 years of age, brought an injury-riddled team to a 7-2 mark to open the following season? Now what if I told you that his career record at this point stood at 27-12, good for a .675 winning clip? Would you take notice? What about if I told you that he led the NFL in fourth quarter comebacks over the same three-year span? Would that do it for you? Wouldn't you want this guy on your team?

Somehow, the developing greatness of young Tom Brady goes widely unnoticed. In fact, Brady's nay-sayers' vehement, unfounded declaration of his inadequacy reeks of conspiracy. He is the Electric Light orchestra of the late-70's, the Metallica of the of the late 80's, the "James" Carrey of "In Living Color," the pre-Old School Will Ferrell.

With the exception of ELO, the Patriot's underrated counterparts benefited from legitimate celebrity status and critical acclaim in due time, albeit long-overdue. But will Brady?

Probably the most apt adjective describing Tom Brady's feats over the past three seasons is improbable. Taking the starting job from franchise player Drew Bledsoe. Consistently winning football games with a poise beyond his years that - like it or not - conjures up images of a young Joe Montana. Making the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl against a heavily-favored Rams squad on a team picked to go nowhere, for a franchise seemingly perpetually destined for playoff futility, and a city starving since 1986 for another taste of a world championship.

Let the record show that no quarterback except Tom Brady himself has been snubbed by the Pro Bowl selection process after leading the NFL in TDs...

Let it be known that his record to start a career is, quite simply, a record...

Realize that he has done all of this with teammates who are all available after the first five rounds of most any fantasy draft...

Still, "underrated" and "under-appreciated" only scratch the surface in denoting the public's skewed perception of Tom Brady. Legally speaking, the misrepresentation of Brady's character borders on slander and defamation.

Watch Tom Brady play football. He'll probably throw two touchdown passes and win the game in the fourth quarter. You'll be impressed. Or will you?"

-DC

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
wel said, Dean, you paint the perfect picture...

top topics

join