It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: N.Y. Youth Soccer Group Mandates Headgear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
By the time this world reaches the year 2100, kids will be so bundled up to go outside so they don't hurt themselves, that the human body will begin to degenerate towards the little green men of the movies. The New York regional youth soccer association will require the use of protective headgear. It was determined that around 1/4th of all soccer injuries invovle the head. This will affect around 35,000 players, and at a minimum cost of around $24 a unit, that would equate to about $840,000 dollars.

Associated Press
BUFFALO, N.Y. - For the first time in the nation, a New York regional youth soccer association will require the mandatory use of protective headguards, affecting nearly 35,000 players 14-years-old and younger.

The decision was reached by a vote of the New York State West Youth Soccer Association board, which oversees more than 200 leagues and clubs from Syracuse to Buffalo, and will go into effect next March.

"Our primary responsibility is to our players' health and safety," the association's executive director Omer Doron said in a statement.

Doron, who was traveling in California, did not return a message left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

The decision was in part based on what the association cited as recent studies that found between 20 and 25 percent of all soccer injuries are head-related.

Comments:
OK, I understand head injuries are something to worry about. I played soccer as a youth for 4 1/2 years. Not one player on my team miss any gametime due to a head injury. I am all for protection, but why don't we spend that $840,000 dollars on real coaches that teach the youth HOW to play soccer?

At the end of the article there is a concer about over-aggresiveness when wearting the headgear. I can tell you this, when I was playing roller hockey while in college, I decided to wear my ice hockey helmet 1 day, just to be safe. I ended up getting hurt worse while wearing the helmet than without. It gives you a sense of safety, and you feel you can be a little more aggressive.

I think it should be a choice, not a mandatory thing. (Actually I am against certain protections like this, but I care not to get into the details at the moment.)

TRD

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
To be honest i think its a dumb idea that only the US would dream up. You wouldn't be able to head a ball properly but i guess they would say it damages your brain cells or something lol!

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
some of these things make you wonder how any of us ever grew up somewhat sarely

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
yeah, kids have to be in a seat until they're 8 nowadays! OMFG! I think they'll put us all in bubble wrap before it's all over...

top topics

join