It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Pats OT Light signs six-year extension

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
FOXBORO, Mass. (Oct. 6, 2004) -- Left tackle Matt Light signed a six-year contract extension with the Patriots that will keep him in New England through 2010, giving him and the quarterback he protects long-term security.

"He certainly deserves it. He's a tough player," Tom Brady said. "There's nobody else I'd rather have over there."

Light, a 2001 second-round draft choice, has helped protect Brady's blind side from defenders and was part of a line that didn't allow a sack in Week 4 despite 42 blitzes by Buffalo in New England's 31-17 victory.

Terms of Light's extension were not disclosed by the team. His agent, Jim Steiner, did not return a call seeking comment.

For Light, who could have become an unrestricted free agent after this season, the contract is good news after he underwent an appendectomy in the offseason that left him at less than full strength late in the preseason.

"I'm out there (playing) regardless," he said. "So, yeah, I feel good. I'm ready to go."

He's doing better mentally and emotionally, too, now that he has a new deal.

"I'm very excited to have the opportunity to play with these guys for a lot more," he said. "It's a good feeling because obviously (the Patriots) think pretty highly of me, which sends a lot of confidence in my direction."

Light, 26, was in the last year of a four-year contract he signed after being the 48th pick of the 2001 draft out of Purdue. He has started 53 of 55 games, including playoffs, since then.

In other moves, the Patriots re-signed defensive back Je'Rod Cherry, signed wide receiver Kevin Kasper and placed offensive lineman Adrian Klemm on injured reserve.

Cherry, a strong special-teams player, had been released on the final cut of the exhibition season after spending the last three years with New England.

Kasper, released by Arizona late in the exhibition season, plays a position where the Patriots have been beset by injuries to Deion Branch, Troy Brown and Bethel Johnson. Kasper, a sixth-round draft choice by Denver in 2001, has 24 catches in his NFL career, which also included a stint in Seattle.

For the second successive season, Klemm was placed on injured reserve after the third game. He missed the Week 4 game at Buffalo with a foot injury.

join