It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Simms Retains Title Against McKart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Travis Simms easily defended his WBA super welterweight belt Saturday night with a unanimous decision over Bronco McKart.

On the undercard of the Felix Trinidad-Ricardo Mayorga middleweight fight, Simms dominated most of the rounds, although he was hardly sharp. He didn't quite live up to his nickname of "Tremendous," but he certainly was good enough for the unorthodox McKart in a battle of left-handers.

The closest card of the three judges was 116-112. The others were 117-111 and 118-110.

"I knew he was a tough guy, that's why we took the fight," Simms said. "We didn't have to fight him, we chose to fight him to prove as a champion I am a force to be reckoned with."

Simms, 33, fought nearly 400 amateur bouts before turning pro in 1998. He had 18 knockouts in his first 23 fights, all wins, and he took the WBA super welterweight crown last December by knocking out Alejandro Garcia in the fifth round.

McKart (47-6) entered the ring wearing a Superman cape and jersey. Simms brought the kryptonite.

McKart had one good round, the third, when he cut Simms below the right eye. But by the second half of the 12-round fight, McKart was dragging. McKart even applauded when the decision was announced.

"He never hurt me," Simms said, "but I did get a little sloppy. I fought one of the best in the division that few boxers want to face."

Zab Judah put himself back in the welterweight title picture with a devastating one-round knockout of thoroughly outclassed Wayne Martell. Judah knocked down Martell five times, beginning just 40 seconds into the bout with a crushing left hook.

Martell, far too slow to handle Judah's bursts, went down again 20 seconds later. With 52 seconds remaining in the round -- and with Martell cut under his right eye -- the fight was stopped.

Brooklyn's Judah, one of New York's more popular fighters, is 32-2 with 23 KOs. He's a former junior welterweight champion, and earlier this year lost to Cory Spinks for the undisputed welterweight title.

"I did spectacular," said Judah, who promised his next fight would be with Spinks. "I guarantee you that what happened against Spinks will never happen again."

Rosendo Alvarez of Nicaragua won a split decision over Bebis Mendoza of Colombia in a WBA light flyweight title bout that only Mendoza could win because Alvarez did not make weight for the fight. Mendoza remains an interim champion.

"I want to apologize to my promoter, my country and my family for not making weight," Alvarez said.

Neither fighter could establish much rhythm in the bout, and only a few late flurries at the end of rounds got the crowd's attention.

"Alvarez has been and continues to be an irresponsible person," Mendoza said. "He came in 3 pounds overweight, but I felt I beat him even though he had an unfair weight advantage."

In a light heavyweight bout, Danny Santiago of Miami surprised eighth-ranked Elvir Muriqi of Kosovo with a fourth-round knockout. Muriqi went down twice before the fight was stopped.

Luis Collazo of Brooklyn, N.Y., earned a unanimous decision over Felix Flores of Puerto Rico in an action-filled 10-round welterweight fight.

new topics

join