It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Report: Lawyers for Ravens' Lewis in plea talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
ATLANTA -- Lawyers for Jamal Lewis are in plea negotiations with federal prosecutors in the Baltimore Ravens running back's drug conspiracy case, The Atlanta Journal Constitution reported Friday.

Citing unidentified lawyers familiar with the case, the newspaper reported federal prosecutors have offered a deal in which Lewis would receive a sentence of less than one year in prison.

Acting U.S. Attorney Sally Yates and a lawyer for Lewis declined to comment on the report when contacted by the Associated Press on Friday.

Last week, when asked about the possibility of a plea deal for Lewis, one of his lawyers, Jerome Froelich, told the AP that lawyers in the case were preparing for his trial, which is set to start Nov. 1.

Lewis, 24, is accused of helping broker a coc aine deal for a childhood friend, Angelo Jackson, during conversations with a government informant in Atlanta during the summer of 2000. Both Lewis and Jackson have pleaded not guilty.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Jamal Lewis plea deal could include jail time after season

ATLANTA -- Lawyers for Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis are negotiating a plea deal in his drug conspiracy case that would allow him to serve jail time in the offseason, a source close to the case told The Associated Press on Saturday.

Under a deal being discussed with federal prosecutors, Lewis would serve four to six months -- possibly split between jail and a halfway house -- after the season, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"There would be no jail time that would interfere with his career," the source said.

Any deal must be signed off on by all sides and approved by a federal judge. If that happens, the deal could be completed in the next week, the source said.

"My lawyers will call me and let me know what's going on if something is going on," Lewis said Saturday from the Ravens' practice facility in Owings Mills, Md. "They haven't called me and let me know anything."

Lewis indicated a plea deal is an option.

"That's part of the overall thing," he said when asked if he has discussed a deal with his lawyers. "It could be trial, it could be pleas."

Messages left for two NFL spokesmen were not immediately returned Saturday.

Lewis, 24, is accused of helping broker a coc aine deal for Angelo Jackson, 26, a childhood friend, during conversations with a government informant in Atlanta during the summer of 2000. Both are scheduled to stand trial Nov. 1 -- the middle of the NFL season.

Last year, Lewis became the fifth player in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a season.

He and Jackson are charged with conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute coc aine and using a cell phone in violation of federal law and attempted coc aine possession. They pleaded not guilty, and their lawyers have suggested in court papers that their clients were entrapped by the informant, who they said has a long criminal record.

The deal being discussed is not contingent on Lewis providing testimony against Jackson, the source said, although Lewis may choose to cooperate.

source

CBS

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
i wonder how that will effect his training

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
i have no clue hawkeye, he is going to miss some games this week, the talk is that he is going to miss the 2 to 3 games after their bye week.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If he misses some practice time, is Billick going to keep him out of the game, as is his "offical" policy?

No.

link

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis pleaded guilty Thursday to using a cellphone to try to set up a drug deal and will be sentenced to four months in prison, to be served after the regular season ends in January.

Lewis still could be suspended this season by the NFL, which said Thursday it would have no immediate decision on any punishment. "I made a mistake four years ago, when I was 20 years old, that I am paying heavily for," Lewis said outside the courthouse after his plea. "It's a difficult time for me. My family and friends were hurt more."

TRD

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think he is dead lucky that they are going to let him serve his time after the season has ended. Would any normal person been allowed to do that say if they had a vacation planned for next week...I think not!

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I think he is dead lucky that they are going to let him serve his time after the season has ended. Would any normal person been allowed to do that say if they had a vacation planned for next week...I think not!

Definately not, man! WTF, we get bushed, they get a silver platter!?!

TRD

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis has been suspended for two games by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The decision, issued late yesterday afternoon by NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, came one day after Lewis pleaded guilty in Atlanta to federal charges of using a cell phone to facilitate a drug transaction more than four years ago.

Lewis was also fined an additional two weeks' salary. He will not be paid while suspended.

link

top topics

join