It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Carling Cup results 22/09/04

page: 1

log in


posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 05:00 PM
Steve Wigley finally enjoyed his first win as Southampton manager with victory over Northampton in the Carling Cup on Wednesday. Saints ran out convincing 3-0 winners at Sixfields to book their place in the third round. Kevin Phillips, David Prutton and Neil McCann were the men on target as Saints secured victory for Wigley in his fifth game in charge.

Tottenham found their shooting boots as they crushed Oldham 6-0 at Boundary Park. Freddie Kanoute opened the scoring in the 37th minute before Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe put Spurs into a comfortable lead after the break. Goran Bunjevcevic, Anthony Gardner and Kanoute then all struck as Oldham caved in in the final three minutes.

Aston Villa survived a testing second half to go through to the third round with a 3-1 win over Queens Park Rangers. Darius Vassell fired Villa in front after 29 minutes and Juan Pablo Angel added a second when he headed home a Nolberto Solano cross. QPR got themselves back into the game when Kevin McLeod pounced on a mix-up between Olof Mellberg and Thomas Sorensen but Villa held firm and Solano wrapped up the win.

Fulham enjoyed a comfortable night's work as they overpowered League Two Boston 4-1 at York Street. Tomasz Radzinski opened the scoring with his first goal of the season and later rounded off the win with a second on 70 minutes. Steed Malbranque and Brian McBride were the other men on target for the Londoners with Lee Beevers heading the Boston consolation. Chris Coleman's night was tainted when youngster Liam Rosenior was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Coventry overcame 10-man Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 at Highfield Road after Michael Doyle struck with a curling long-distance effort after 36 minutes. The Owls had Glenn Whelan sent off two minutes later after a bad foul on Matthew Mills and the home side held on to go through.

Mark Hughes found out how tough club management can be as his Blackburn side were dumped out of the Carling Cup by Bournemouth on Wednesday. League One Bournemouth stunned their Premiership hosts at Ewood Park as they triumphed 7-6 on penalties after forcing a 3-3 draw after extra time. Rovers had started the night well with an early goal from Brett Emerton but the Cherries levelled through Garreth O'Connor and Carl Broadhurst thought he had won it eight minutes from time. It took a 90th-minute equaliser from substitute Morten Gamst Pedersen to spare Rovers defeat in normal time and Paul Gallagher looked to have restored order a minute after the restart. But the Cherries continued to battle and made it 3-3 after 115 minutes through John Spicer, before Eddie Howe netted the crucial spot-kick.

Everton were also taken to penalties but were able to breathe a sigh of relief after scraping past Bristol City 4-3 on spot-kicks at Ashton Gate. David Moyes' side looked to be cruising to victory as Duncan Ferguson netted a first-half penalty after a Danny Coles handball and Nick Chadwick added a second just before the break. But City stunned the Premiership side with two goals early in the second half. Alan Stubbs put through his own net on 50 minutes and and Leroy Lita followed up with an equaliser two minutes later. James McFadden had a chance to win it for Everton with a penalty late on, but Steve Phillips saved and also kept out the Scot's follow-up header to force extra time. It eventually came down to penalties but a Coles miss allowed Lee Carsley to send Everton through.

Nottingham Forest needed extra-time to see off Rotherham at the City Ground. Chris Sedgwick gave Rotherham an early lead but Forest replied when Gareth Taylor struck. Neither side could force a winner in normal time but Taylor settled it when he made it 2-1 four minutes into the first additional period.



log in