It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Giants to guarantee final season of Bonds' deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Not much of a surprise here...

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds will remain a Giant through the 2006 season.

The Giants have scheduled an 8:15 p.m. ET news conference for Tuesday night, and sources within the club told ESPN that San Francisco will announce they have picked up the final year of Bonds' contract.

San Francisco had an option to void Bonds' complicated five-year, $90 million contract after next season, but Tuesday's move ensures that won't happen, locking up Bonds through 2006.

Bonds, Giants general manager Brian Sabean and president Peter Magowan are expected to speak at Tuesday night's news conference.

However, the announcement likely will not mark the end of Bonds' contract maneuvering.

The slugger told MLB.com last Wednesday that he wants his contract extended through 2007. Bonds would be 43 by the end of that season.

"I'd probably want to extend my contract one extra year; that way, if anything should change, I wouldn't have to worry about free agency," Bonds told MLB.com before San Francisco's 8-1 victory over the Brewers on Wednesday at Miller Park. "But 2007 will definitely be it for me, no matter what."

But the Giants and general manager Brian Sabean have yet to publicly address adding an option for 2007 to Bonds' contract.

Peter Magowan, the team's president and managing general partner, has said he wants Bonds to finish his career as a Giant. San Francisco owes Bonds $20 million for 2005 and $18 million for 2006, now that the team has guaranteed that that part of the contract.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This will no doubt give him the record at the end of the season

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Heh well there goes my dream of having him break Hank's record in another uni.

new topics

join