It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: CIS Insurance Cup results 21/09/04

page: 1

log in


posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:36 PM
Man-of-the-match Ross Wallace hit a stunning hat-trick as Martin O'Neill's Celtic second string out-classed blundering Falkirk with an eight-goal spree at Parkhead to cruise into the fourth round of the CIS Insurance Cup.

The game was over after five minutes after Juninho had seized on poor mistakes to help Momo Sylla and Wallace put Celtic two goals up. The youngster bagged his second after Bobo Balde, Paul Lambert and Stephen McManus had also hit the net and then completed the hat-trick after Andy Thomson's consolation. Aiden McGeady rubbed salt into the Falkirk wounds with a stunning strike in the final minute.

A dramatic double by substitute Jim Hamilton brought CIS Insurance Cup holders Livingston back from the brink against Dundee their third round tie at Almondvale. In a dull game that was almost devoid of goalmouth action, there was a moment of inspiration in the 67th minute when Dees defender Steven Robb ran half the length of the pitch to slam the ball past Livi 'keeper Roddy McKenzie. The tie was deep into injury time and the Taysiders looked safe when Livi substitute Jim Hamilton, on earlier for Craig Easton, was brought down in the box by Dees 'keeper Derek Soutar and defender Brent Sancho. Hamilton picked himself up and slotted the ball away to take the game into extra-time. Five minutes into the second period of extra-time Hamilton majestically rose to head home a Burton O'Brien cross and the unlikely comeback was complete.

Goals from Jim McIntyre, Barry Robson, Mark Wilson and Grant Brebner - his first for the club - gave Dundee United a 4-0 victory over Clyde. United handed Canadian international Lars Hirschfeld his first start, in place of regular goalkeeper Tony Bullock, who faces 10 weeks on the sidelines after breaking his collarbone during Saturday's 4-2 defeat to Motherwell. He was called into action as the visitors started brightly but the SPL side gradually took control as their opponents tired.



log in