It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Payments to Halliburton for Fuel in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
And here goes the payoffs...

New York Times

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Sorry. Just read the NO NEWS POSTS thread. Sorry it wont happen again!

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Hey, man, it's important. All you need to do is comment more on it, what you think, how it impacts on other things. This particular issue thing is well hidden, like Executive Order 13303.

First brought to you by this thread, teaching you how to profit illegally in war when you are a crony of the Bush admin:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Isn't that something!

I still rate this stock a BUY. but it's getting closer to a hold.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Mr. Cheney:

- the CEO of Halliburton ( still takes in millions a year from that gig) now VP running decisions over these things

- Haliburton getting all the facilities management contracts worldwide for both the Army & Navy (**Which means, if you don't know, that since that headcount is taken by contractor & not soldiers, if the # hits the fan, that CO does not have that headcount to man the lines & grab their gun **)

- Getting the sole source contract, without any bid process amongst American countries or global compaines, for all oil field support in Iraq

- Co-authored a policy paper in 2000 stating that we need to control Iraq and that regions resources as well as ensure no other nation reaches close to becoming a world power

- Has a closed door ( first in history), industry insider only ( no preservation or public interest advocates) Energy Task force meeting that includes maps and info on the two countries we've invaded under this administration.

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist or hate the other political team to see the glaring questions of colusion staring at you on this topic. And that the stocks ROI should be the least of our considerations in our viewpoint on Corporate Imperialism.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
Mr. Cheney:

- the CEO of Halliburton ( still takes in millions a year from that gig) now VP running decisions over these things

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP - FALSOMETER GOING OFF BIG TIME! THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED AD NAUSEUM....NOT TRUE, NOT TRUE.

- Getting the sole source contract, without any bid process amongst American countries or global compaines, for all oil field support in Iraq

WHOOP WHOOP FALSOMETER GOING OFF DOUBLE TIME. ALSO BEEN DISCUSSED AD NAUSEUM...DO A LITTLE RESEARCH BEFORE STATING FALSE CRAP!

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Valhall said (in bold)

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP - FALSOMETER GOING OFF BIG TIME! THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED AD NAUSEUM....NOT TRUE, NOT TRUE.

Hmmm. It IS true, do a simple google search, sticking with Associated Press stories.

www.guardian.co.uk...

"Halliburton, the Texas company which has been awarded the Pentagon's contract to put out potential oil-field fires in Iraq and which is bidding for postwar construction contracts, is still making annual payments to its former chief executive, the vice-president Dick Cheney.
The payments, which appear on Mr Cheney's 2001 financial disclosure statement, are in the form of "deferred compensation" of up to $1m (�600,000) a year.

When he left Halliburton in 2000 to become George Bush's running mate, he opted not to receive his leaving payment in a lump sum but instead have it paid to him over five years, possibly for tax reasons.

An aide to the vice president said yesterday: "This is money that Mr Cheney was owed by the corporation as part of his salary for the time he was employed by Halliburton and which was a fixed amount paid to him over time."

The aide said the payment was even insured so that it would not be affected even if Halliburton went bankrupt, to ensure there was no conflict of interest.

"Also, the vice president has nothing whatsoever to do with the Pentagon bidding process," the aide added."

WHOOP WHOOP FALSOMETER GOING OFF DOUBLE TIME. ALSO BEEN DISCUSSED AD NAUSEUM...DO A LITTLE RESEARCH BEFORE STATING FALSE CRAP!

How about doing a little research yourself before you accuse others of not doing theirs....

washingtontimes.com...

Halliburton keeps no-bid Iraq pact

www.cbsnews.com...

"Halliburton has contracts worth more than $1.7 billion for its work in Iraq, and it could make hundreds of millions more from a no-bid contract it was awarded by the Army Corps of Engineers, The Washington Post has reported. .

www.bayarea.com...

Halliburton no-bid deals greater than disclosed

www.centredaily.com...

At least make it a little difficult to wade through your baseless propaganda.

jakomo

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Jakomo,

This has been discussed at least three time in three threads on this board. If you are not willing to search for those threads and review them prior to posting links to liberal blather-tribes, I'm not willing to do it for you.

I assure you I have done my research on this.

Nice googling...but no cigar.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo

At least make it a little difficult to wade through your baseless propaganda.

jakomo

P.S. When you finally get off your smart-ass duff and find those threads you'll see I tend to deal in facts...the baseless propaganda is usually what I'm speaking to. Well, piffle! I find myself speaking to it again!

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 04:19 PM
link   
We probably ought to include both sides of the argument here, so here something we'll stick in this little so-far-one-side-propaganda-party:

HALLIBURTON PROVIDES UPDATE ON FUEL DELIVERY MISSION IN IRAQ

HOUSTON, Texas � Halliburton today responded to statements about fuel procurement in Iraq.

Because of wartime emergency, the Department of Defense asked Halliburton to provide emergency services in Iraq. One of these wartime emergency services is to provide short term reliable fuel procurement and distribution support for the Iraqi people. Halliburton is successfully helping to restore this needed service in Iraq that will help create some sense of normalcy for those who have suffered losses.

KBR has been directed to acquire, transport and distribute fuel through a hostile environment and deliver it on a reliable and timely basis to various locations within Iraq. KBR was tasked with importing fuel in the region until transition to "in country" companies such as Iraq's state-owned oil company, State Oil Marketing Organization (SOMO), is feasible and reliable.

It has been reported that SOMO can provide these services for a lower cost. A key element of this contract is not just cost, but a reliable source. KBR is bound by guidelines in its contract to negotiate fuel prices on a short term basis only, from suppliers acceptable to the US Army Corps of Engineers. Contractually, KBR has been prevented from procuring fuel contracts for longer than a 30-day period. In addition, all services and their associated costs to execute the mission are subject to the same 30-day procurement limit including trucks, trailers, depots and labor. Simple economics dictate that companies who are not bound by these guidelines, and are able to negotiate price on a long-term contract basis, can negotiate lower prices.

KBR has a good working relationship with SOMO. KBR has coordinated effectively with them since the fuel services mission was issued by the client. SOMO is a likely candidate to assume the task of supplying fuel to Iraq as soon as the client and the Coalition Provisional Authority decide they have the capabilities to continuously supply the quantities of fuel mandated on a reliable basis.

Based on the entire picture, to allege that KBR is overcharging for this needed service, insults the KBR employees who are performing this dangerous mission to help bring fuel to the people of Iraq. The drivers transporting the fuel face the real risk of being killed or wounded, and vehicles and contents being destroyed. The contract allows for billing solely for costs incurred plus a two percent fee. The company's two percent fee is less than the markup for products at a local gas station or supermarket.

KBR continues to negotiate fair and competitive prices to provide fuel to the Iraqi people. KBR used a sound procurement process which has been approved by the government for procurement activities and is subject to government audit. Through an open and competitive bid process, KBR awarded the fuel acquisition contracts to suppliers who could meet the very demanding requirements defined by the client, the United States Army Corps of Engineers. Halliburton's skills and abilities make it one of the few companies in the world that can do the work needed.

Halliburton helped build U.S. warships in World War II, as well as projects in Somalia, Rwanda and Haiti. It also put out more than half of the oil well fires in Kuwait during the 1991 Gulf War and now is assisting with restoration efforts in Iraq.

Halliburton, founded in 1919, is one of the world's largest providers of products and services to the petroleum and energy industries. The Company serves its customers with a broad range of products and services through its Energy Services Group and Engineering and Construction Group. The Company's World Wide Web site can be accessed at www.halliburton.com.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   
What few know is that Halliburton is one (if not the only) company in the would that could handle this type of bid. Bush or not it dosent suprise me that they would get a contract.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Valhall: Your article has little to do with the fact that Halliburton is getting all the plum no-bid contracts and that Cheney is still making money from them.

Nice job pasting, though, looks purty.

The only relevant info in there was "Based on the entire picture, to allege that KBR is overcharging for this needed service, insults the KBR employees who are performing this dangerous mission to help bring fuel to the people of Iraq. The drivers transporting the fuel face the real risk of being killed or wounded, and vehicles and contents being destroyed. The contract allows for billing solely for costs incurred plus a two percent fee. The company's two percent fee is less than the markup for products at a local gas station or supermarket.

KBR continues to negotiate fair and competitive prices to provide fuel to the Iraqi people. KBR used a sound procurement process which has been approved by the government for procurement activities and is subject to government audit. Through an open and competitive bid process, KBR awarded the fuel acquisition contracts to suppliers who could meet the very demanding requirements defined by the client, the United States Army Corps of Engineers. Halliburton's skills and abilities make it one of the few companies in the world that can do the work needed."

It's total PR. In ACTUALITY, Iraq is going through an OIL CRISIS because Halliburton ain't selling any of this stuff back to Iraqis (seeing as how it's theirs, I would think they'd get a deal, but nope).

Kuwait is actually increasing their oil exports to Iraq, which seems a little strange, since obviously the FIRST people to see the oil and oil profits should be average Iraqis.

www.zawya.com...

jakomo

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
Valhall: Your article has little to do with the fact that Halliburton is getting all the plum no-bid contracts and that Cheney is still making money from them.

Nice job pasting, though, looks purty.

The only relevant info in there was "Based on the entire picture, to allege that KBR is overcharging for this needed service, insults the KBR employees who are performing this dangerous mission to help bring fuel to the people of Iraq. The drivers transporting the fuel face the real risk of being killed or wounded, and vehicles and contents being destroyed. The contract allows for billing solely for costs incurred plus a two percent fee. The company's two percent fee is less than the markup for products at a local gas station or supermarket.

KBR continues to negotiate fair and competitive prices to provide fuel to the Iraqi people. KBR used a sound procurement process which has been approved by the government for procurement activities and is subject to government audit. Through an open and competitive bid process, KBR awarded the fuel acquisition contracts to suppliers who could meet the very demanding requirements defined by the client, the United States Army Corps of Engineers. Halliburton's skills and abilities make it one of the few companies in the world that can do the work needed."

It's total PR. In ACTUALITY, Iraq is going through an OIL CRISIS because Halliburton ain't selling any of this stuff back to Iraqis (seeing as how it's theirs, I would think they'd get a deal, but nope).

Kuwait is actually increasing their oil exports to Iraq, which seems a little strange, since obviously the FIRST people to see the oil and oil profits should be average Iraqis.

www.zawya.com...

jakomo

Jakomo,

Why do you refuse to look up the past threads that I have referred to several time now? They DO address all claims I have made of the falseness of the originating claims on this thread.

hmmm...choosing to embrace ignorance instead of deny it?

I assure you I will not do your homework for you...so live in hate-filled, lie-infested darkness...I don't care. But I will continue to call false statements, inuendos and outright maliscious lies just as I see them.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Valhall: "But I will continue to call false statements, inuendos and outright maliscious lies just as I see them."

Cool, I'm good with that. That you don't debunk my facts proves that I am correct. Wicked.

Prove to me that Halliburton ISN'T getting no-bid contracts and that Cheney ISN'T still getting money from Halliburton and I'll be more than happy to abandon my stance. I've already proven they have (using CBS News and the Washington Times among others)

Please only reference Associated Press, Reuters, and major reputable news sources.

www.msnbc.com...

" Citing new damage to Iraq�s oil industry from saboteurs, the Bush administration Wednesday delayed its planned replacement of a lucrative no-bid contract that was awarded to Halliburton Co., Vice President Dick Cheney�s former company.

money.cnn.com...

"The company, where Cheney was CEO from 1995 to 2000, has come under intense scrutiny in the past year for its no-bid contract, worth up to $7 billion, from the U.S. Army to repair Iraq's oil infrastructure. "

www.forbes.com...

"Houston-based Halliburton's role in the Iraq rebuilding effort has been criticized since Vice President Dick Cheney's ran the company prior to joining the Bush administration and Halliburton has so far more than $1.4 billion in work in Iraq under a no-bid contract."

I've got corroborating evidence from CBS, MSNBC, CNN, Forbes and the Washington Times, I'll wait for your evidence to the contrary.

jakomo

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Am I going to have to read it for you too?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Okay, here's the proof against the claims you just stated.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Valhall: Nice try, but that thread is full of people (well, mostly Colonel) tearing you a new rectal orifice for your shoddy research.

From that fantastic article you referenced in the last thread:

www.cnn.com...

"The accusation of favoritism centers around Cheney's ties to the company he headed from 1995 to 2000.

Cheney still receives about $150,000 a year in deferred payments for work he performed as chairman before resigning to run for vice president in 2000.

"Does this not count as money?"

He also holds more than 433,000 stock options, all above Halliburton's most recently traded price, according to a report by the Congressional Research Office requested by Sen. Frank Lautenberg, a New Jersey Democrat.

Again, my definitions might be a little strained, but doesn't this count as actual MONEY?

Cheney has insisted in the past that the deferred compensation was set up two years before he became a vice presidential candidate in 2000 and that he assigned all his stock options to a charitable trust just before being sworn in.

But he doesn't say which organization and he doesn't need to prove anything.

"Since I left Halliburton to become George Bush's vice president, I've severed all my ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interest," Cheney said on NBC's "Meet the Press" on September 14."

Which is a lie, since it even said in the article what he still gets.

So the only defense in there is CHENEY defending HIMSELF. A known liar denying FACTS reported in this very article.

And how does Halliburton combat their negative image? They ask THEIR EMPLOYEES to fire off letters to congresspeople, representatives, and special interest groups. That doesn't exactly sound like Standard Operating Procedure when you are fighting false, libellous claims. I'm sure if the claims were totally false, they'd just prove it by showing documentation and a paper trail, hmm?

Because they're not false, they're true claims.

Nice try though. This is FAR from proof, Val.

jakomo

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I'll be damned, Jakoma. Apparently I would have to read it to you. Actually, that thread is full of me, busting up Colonel's patented technique of blathering crap...

very similar to your technique....hmmm.

Well, per my commitment to the board's motto...I'm denying your ass.

Miss on you pister, you aint so muckin' #...go back-off in your own jackyard.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by Bout Time
Mr. Cheney:

- Getting the sole source contract, without any bid process amongst American countries or global companies, for all oil field support in Iraq

Cool!

I didn't know that bold caps are a substitute for truth! I'll use that next time, thanks! Come on Val, no one wants "mud" outside of the mud room! Keep the house clean!

I have always read the posts here that center on areas of my interest, especially on the topic of collusion/the military industrial complex/insider bid rigging/and all over dirty business - sums up Halliburton to a tee!
I�ve looked especially at your posts on the subject since I was invited to do so. Here�s what I found:
- Repeating flattering/warped misinformation about Cheney & quoting Halliburton�s PR site on the subject does not the truth make.
- Of course Cheney �has no financial interest in Halliburton�s future��.HE WAS PAID UPFRONT IN A GURANTEED CONTRACT. Halliburton can be found to be using human embryos as a fuel additive, and he�s still going to make bank.
- Cheney�s Halliburton, as you say, got the Iraq contract because of the Facilities management contract already being done. Where were the bids on the FM contract that covers all of the Army & navy globally!?! So no-bid to no-bid equals bid? Teach me that math please!
Cheney has worked in every republican administration since, well, forever. He has peddled his influence in the interim periods when he wasn�t to companies reliant on gov. contracts. During the VP debates, he had the gall to profess � I�ve made my money without reliance on the government��Huh!?!?! From one of my favorite bookmarks: Halliburton has been a prime beneficiary of the U.S. Export-Import Bank and the Overseas Private Investment Corp., both important but little-known federal agencies whose programs are sometimes impolitely derided as "corporate welfare." The Ex-Im Bank provides loans and loan guarantees that help American multinationals doing business abroad, while OPIC offers political risk insurance for foreign investment projects by U.S. companies.
Most recently, Cheney sought $500 million in Ex-Im Bank loan guarantees last winter for an oil-recovery project in Russia. Overcoming initial objections by the State Department, his pleas ensured that the guarantees were approved in March. That deal was only one of several Halliburton investments that involved $1.8 billion in Ex-Im Bank loans or loan guarantees.
Cheney no longer seems grateful for this taxpayer-financed success, but three years ago he practically groveled at the Ex-Im Bank's annual conference. His May 1997 speech to Ex-Im Bank executives took unctuous note of Halliburton projects supported by the agency in "Algeria, Angola, Colombia, the Philippines, Russia, the Czech Republic, Thailand, China, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Kuwait, India, Kenya, the Congo, Brazil, Argentina, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela, Indonesia, Malaysia and Mexico" (in short, almost anywhere that Halliburton did business). It had all been made possible, he said, by blending "private-sector resources with the full faith and credit of the U.S. government."
Concepts such as loan guarantees and political insurance sound more complicated than they really are. The chief function of these federal programs is to reduce the cost of borrowing for corporations making investments in far-flung places where there might be serious trouble. In plain English, this means that corporations like Halliburton take the profits while American taxpayers take the risks.
Aside from the corporate welfare that girds many of its foreign investments, Halliburton relies heavily on Pentagon contracts. According to Bloomberg, the Defense Department bestowed contracts worth about $1.8 billion on Cheney's company between 1996 and 1999; and the conglomerate's Brown and Root subsidiary was hired to provide "logistical support" to U.S. servicemen and women in the Balkans.

dir.salon.com...
Q&A
So the company has grown since Cheney became CEO?

Oh, they've grown immensely. They do two things: They work in the oil business and in the military business. So it makes sense that they would pick a former secretary of defense to be their CEO. When he was secretary of defense, one of the things Cheney did was scale down defense spending and ax a lot of people. Under Cheney, employment in the armed forces went from 2.2 million to 1.7 million. Well, that might sound good to some people but what really happened was the military started outsourcing a lot of the tasks that the military used to do themselves -- things like construction.
What Halliburton is doing now, and this has been the trend around the world as more and more countries outsource, is large-scale construction projects on behalf of the United States military. Companies like Halliburton essentially enabled the Army to use the private sector to go anywhere in the world within 15 days. In 1993, they implemented this in Somalia. Halliburton got a contract to supply $100 million of logistical support to the army -- everything from supplying toilets to supplying fresh fruit to translators. Within hours of the U.S. task force arriving in Somalia, they became the largest employer in all of Africa. Since then, they've gotten similar contracts in Haiti in 1994, Bosnia in 1995 and Albania in 1999.

How does an oil services company get into the construction business?

They've always been in the business of construction and supplying services. Now, they've come up with this grand scheme to build floating, mobile bases for the U.S. Army. The only thing that's similar to them are oil rigs, which they have plenty of experience with.

So they depend on government contracts for income?

In part, yes. They also have large contracts with the oil companies themselves. After the Gulf War, Brown & Root [the construction arm of Halliburton] got a contract to rebuild a lot of the infrastructure in Kuwait. I think the money for that deal was part of an aid package. In Haiti and Somalia, their contracts were considered direct logistical support for the U.S. Army, and it came directly out of their budget. But it is true that they are funded in large part by U.S. taxpayer dollars, yes.

So why would a former secretary of defense go to work for an oil services company?

It makes sense. Just like journalists hire the people who know the business of writing, companies in the oil business hire people who are familiar with how government and government bureaucracy works, and how to land those lucrative government contracts. What I have a problem with, and what Cheney's move between the defense department and Halliburton illustrates, is the close relationship between business and government in making money at the expense of the environment and all of these kinds of things.
I think Cheney's decision to go to Halliburton was a major conflict of interest. If your job is working for the U.S. government, for the taxpayer, and what you're doing is defending the country's interests, and then you leave and cash in on those contacts to make money for a private company which receives US taxpayer dollars, it's disingenuous.
What Cheney did was get the process rolling with privatization in the [military], and then he went on to profit off of it. Not that long ago, he cashed in $5.1 million worth of stock.

-

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   
All links and press releases containing the facts of the situations your original post have been supplied here. In addition, my feelings concerning people who refuse to read, refuse to seek the truth, and refuse to come out of the darkness of ignorance and IV-fed coma, have also been included here.

From Argus Hamilton today: Do you know what they call adults who still believe in Santa?

Democrats...

What I would normally find so funny, if it didn't make me so damned sick, is that you people seem to think you can "create" a conspiracy when you can't find the one you want.

Saying it doesn't it make it so...but repeating it in the face of facts sure makes you something.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Valhall: "Well, per my commitment to the board's motto...I'm denying your azz."

Hey, that's okay. I know you're wrong, and so does everyone else. What you think about it is unimportant, because you're wrong and possibly deluded.

You wouldn't even make a very good corporate shill for Halliburton, unfortunately (which is what I assume you're banking on with all this blind trust of a CORPORATION fer crissakes). You'd need a far better command of the language, and your use of semantics is a little thin.

You trust politicians AND you trust corporations. I can't relate whatsoever, because I know both are liars because it's been proven to me time and time again just by living on this planet.

jakomo

top topics

<<   2 >>

join