It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Wagner tirade draws two-game suspension, fine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia Phillies closer Billy Wagner was suspended for two games Friday by Major League Baseball and fined an undisclosed amount after he was ejected against the New York Mets last weekend.

The suspension was scheduled to begin Friday night when Philadelphia was home against Montreal.

"I have to serve it and just get it behind me," Wagner said. "I'm just glad it's here, and in a couple of days it's over and we can get past it."

Wagner was thrown out of the game by umpire Dana DeMuth in the ninth inning of Philadelphia's 11-9, 13-inning win over the Mets last Saturday.

After Wagner wasted a two-run lead, DeMuth ejected him following two high-and-inside fastballs to Cliff Floyd. The ejection was the first of Wagner's career, and he threw his cap across the field and a cooler and stack of cups out of the dugout onto the field. He also criticized DeMuth in a profanity-laced tirade after the game.

On Monday, Wagner apologized for his tirade against DeMuth, saying, "That's out of character for me to say something like that about an umpire."

"They're probably angry at the comments more than anything," Phillies manager Larry Bowa said.

Also, Phillies first baseman Jim Thome was a late scratch against the Expos, still bothered by a bruised chest suffered Wednesday when he collided with catcher Todd Pratt while grabbing a popup against Cincinnati.

"It didn't feel real good," Thome said. "It's a little tight."

join