It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Real Madrid sign 7yr old to contract

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Real Madrid have signed british youngster Niall Mason to their academy after he recently impressed in trials. Mason is just seven years old and will train twice a week for eight months at the academy. He will join the likes of David Beckham, Michael Owen, Jonathan Woodgate and other world superstars Ronaldo, Zidane and Figo at the Bernabeu stadium.

Niall's father signed the youngster up to a two week summer course at the Real school while working in Madrid. He was the youngest player there by three years and finished sixth overall. Just like the professionals, Niall had to pass a medical and sign a contract before taking up his place at the prestigious school. He will begin his training on October 1st and will train at the Escuela Deportivo de Futbol Federation Madrid. If he is successfull he will he will join Real's full time academy and could turn out to be a future star.

His mother, Mimosa, 35, and proud father, Russell, 44, of Brighton, will move to Spain with their son. He has to join a new school in Spain aswell as train twice a week. Is too much being expected of a seven year old child and is he being robbed of his carefree years?

In todays sport there is more and more parental pressure. What with the possible reward of a professional contract in the future or in the United States an atheletic scholarship, are young children being pushed into specializing at an early age?

Children who are expected to train too much or too often can develop overuse injuries such as stress fractures and damage to growth plates. It could also result in 'burnout' which is seen in alot of young football players. Ultimatly the end result could be seen as a premature end to their competitive sports careers.

Niall's father Russell told The Sun Newspaper: "It's every father's dream come true, I keep having to pinch myself. What more could a boy of that age want?

It's a tremendous opportunity with the most famous club in the world. It hasn't sunk in yet."

"He's a natural. At two months old I used to plonk him on the football pitch. He uses both feet and is pretty skilful, he can float a free kick like Beckham. And his ball control is fantastic."

Mrs Mason also added: "It is all a little overwhelming seeing my baby snapped up by Real Madrid, but you have to grab an opportunity like this."

Parental pressure or a childs dream come true?

[Edited on 16/9/04 by TRD]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
wow! that is really young, they must see a great future for him at his age. wonder if in 10 years time, he will be playing for on the big stages

TRD

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
That is my thoughts, maybe too young.

There will be tremendous pressure on him to perform and do well. Is a young kid able to do that? It seems like his parents are putting on the pressure for him to succeed and maybe they shouldn't.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If his soccer career kicks off, his relationship with his dads fades out of view. hence creating family tensions. $hit like this happens all the time in Canadas hockey system. Its a classic case where the dad lives his life through his son. Not good.

On the other hand if the parents don't get too carried away this could be a great opportunity. Then again other issues come into existence such as burnout, motivation to play, etc.

Too young, not a good idea. The kid may have his own plans on what to do with his life.

:angry-smiley-034:

TRD

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I read today about other players who started out at a young age and never made it. As i said 7 is way to young to start out, maybe when he is older say 12. He will have his own views and ideas by then and he wouldn't have lost his childhood. He should be playing regular football down the park and in a sunday kids league with his dad cheering and shouting from the touchline...

new topics

top topics

join