It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Dallas Cowboys Preview 2004

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The Cowboys had a great rebound season in 2003 earning 10 wins, their first winning season in 4 years. Much of that success was due to Dallas' #1 ranked defense, as its offense was average at best. Several attempts were made this off-season to upgrade the offensive, including the trade for (WR) Keyshawn Johnson and signing of (RB) Eddie George. While Keyshawn should be a great improvement over the disappointing Joey Galloway, it is questionable whether Eddie George can improve a running game that averaged only 3.9 yards per attempt. The Cowboys booted last year's starting running back Troy Hambrick because he managed only 3.5 yards per carry; however, George managed only 3.3 yards per carry for Tennessee in 2003, so only time will tell if the running attack improves.

Dallas also drafted Notre Dame's Julius Jones as their running back of the future, so if all else fails, Jones could step into the action. Starting safety Darren Woodson, the last piece remaining from Dallas' Super Bowl glory days, was lost for the first part of the season following surgery on a herniated disk. Just as the TV series Dallas was actually filmed in Hollywood, it is quite fitting that the Cowboys are put through their training camp paces in nearby Oxnard, CA. Many in Cowboy nation will tune in during the 2004 season, if only to see where the script goes next.

The Insiders.com

Football About.com

Star Power: RB Eddie George ( 6-3 235 ), WR Keyshawn Johnson ( 6-3 215 ), CB Terence Newman ( 5-10 -190 ), DE Marcellus Wiley ( 6-5 282 )

Notable Additions: QB Vinny Testaverde, RB Eddie George, WR Keyshawn Johnson ( 6-3 215 ), CB Terence Newman ( 5-10 -190 ), DE Marcellus Wiley ( 6-5 282 )

Notable Subtractions: QB Quincy Carter, RB Troy Hambrick, DE Ebenezer Ekuban, WR Joey Galloway

Despite Quincy Carter's ability to "drive the bus" for Parcells' offense, he still made too many mistakes and didn't use his athletic scrambling ability enough to put pressure on opposing defenses. The coaching staff love's his work ethics and attitude, but have been stressing to him the importance of protecting the football. One thing Parcells won't stand for is turnovers, so Carter must improve on his 21 interceptions this season in order to hold on to his starters job. Testaverde was brought in as an insurance policy and tutor for Carter and Henson, but he will get an opportunity to earn the starter's job in training camp as well. Chad Hutchinson had a rough season for the Rhein Fire in NFL Europe and appears to be the odd man out with the addition of Henson. The former Wolverine, who spent the last three years playing 3rd base in the NY Yankees organization, was a standout in 2000 when he led Michigan to the Rose Bowl. And the coaches are also intrigued by second-year free agent Tony Romo, who is expected see some action during the pre-season. This all spells bad news for Hutchinson as his days in Dallas seem to be numbered.

Usually 972 yards is enough to keep a running back around, but not in Dallas as Troy Hambrick and his 3.5 yards per carry were shown the door. In Big D, where the list of former RBs reads like a hall of fame ballot with names like Smith, Walker, Dorsett and Perkins the shoes are awfully hard to fill. Next in line to try his luck will be the rookie Julius Jones, who will be feeling considerable pressure to succeed after Dallas passed on Stephen Jackson in the first round to trade down and select Jones. The Cowboys traded away Joey Galloway during the off-season for Keyshawn Johnson, a long-time Parcells favorite. What Johnson lacks in speed, he makes up for with intensity and toughness. Terry Glenn and Antonio Bryant will vie for the second WR spot, with Glenn as the early favorite because of his relationship with Parcells and Bryant's inability to control his emotions. Randall Williams is a guy the coaches will really take a long look at during training camp. At 6'3" 225 Williams is a big man, but he has incredible speed and soft hands and he will push for playing time this season, especially should Bryant follow up last year's disappointing campaign with a poor training camp. Dallas has one of the better and most underrated TE corps in the league. Dan Campbell is one of the best blocking TEs in the game today and another great locker room guy as well. He emerged as one of the true leaders of the team last year. Second-year player Jason Witten turned out to be one of the steals for Dallas in last year's draft. After a slow start Witten came on strong and finished with 35 catches and a TD. He also showed the coaches his toughness by playing with a broken jaw for six weeks last year. Jeff Robinson and James Whalen will be fighting for the last TE roster spot along with fifth-round draft choice Sean Ryan from Boston College.

Though Parcells' year two fortunes have been well-chronicled, the Tuna has not been immune to a bad season on the heels of a successful one. The 1987 Giants went 6-9 after winning the Super Bowl the year before, the '95 Patriots were 6-10 after going to the playoffs in '94, and the head coach's final Jets team was .500 one season following an AFC Championship appearance. Despite all the high-profile preseason moves, this Cowboys team could fall into a category with Parcells' other mediocre-or-worse teams. The backfield, offensive line, secondary, and special teams situations are all shaky, and the division (particularly the Eagles and the Redskins) has gotten better. You should never count Parcells out, as he will get his team to play hard, but it is doubtful that the team can answer enough of its questions to match last year's 10-win performance. A .500 year seems more like it.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The Cowboys started the new season off on the wrong foot, but I think they'll bounce back this week against the Browns.

Julius Jones was inactive with an injury, he should be ready to go Sunday. The defense needs to step up and play like last season, Culpepper lit them up in week 1.

Vinny looked good, he hooked up with Keyshawn and Antonio Bryant many times.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
that was just a fluke! GO DALLAS! they will rock this season, mark my words

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
* I predict that this team will be competitive, but end up on the outside looking in some the post-season.

*- Sportztawk does not suggest that comments posted by Gibbs Baby!!! are biased in nature. Just because he roots for a real team, does not mean that he will unneccesarily put down teams that wish they were as good as the Redskins.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Just because he roots for a real team, does not mean that he will unneccesarily put down teams that wish they were as good as the Redskins.

Oh, please. :angry-smiley-034:

A real team, huh? The Cowboys have the most Super Bowl rings as well as the most SB appearances and most playoff wins.

I fear your lopsided win over a weakened TB team has clouded your vision and ability to relate to the real world. Not to mention that the scheduling gods have assigned you an AWFUL Giants team in week 2. I'm predicting a reality check for you in week 3 when you finally will face a formidable foe. I doubt you'll see Brunell much past week 4 as that O-line let him get hammered in week 1, almost as bad as the season-long abuse that Ramsey endured last season. Week 3, Monday night in front of a national audience, the Pokes-Hogs rivalry is renewed, should be interesting.

:loudhorn: ~ GO COWBOYS!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
hehehe...

Looks as if I touched a nerve...

As I've said before, I expect the Redskins to be battling for a playoff spot. They should make it to the playoffs, but it's not a given. And I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the super bowl, but I honestly don't expect that. However, recent history at the big game has surprise teams there, and there i sno reason why the 'skins can't be that surprise team this year.

I wan't impressed with the Redskins this past weekend, i was just happy they got the win. They really should have dominated a depleted buccaneer team. They did statistically in the first half, but the final score didn't show that. But, a win's a win, I guess...

and the cowboys still suck...

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

hehehe...

Looks as if I touched a nerve...

It's all in fun! :party-smiley-018:

However, recent history at the big game has surprise teams there,

You bring up a good point, I think that's why we're both pretty optimistic.

But, a win's a win, I guess...

That's all that matters, W's and L's. I really think this Skins-Cowboys rivalry will be intensified with two of the game's greatest minds running these teams. Tough to have a rivalry with Steve Spurrier and Dave Campo.

and the cowboys still suck...

I think Monday night, Week 3, might have you reconsider this drivel.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Drivel, my friend? I think not. Know that the Redskins are the far superior team, and consider your team lucky to be mentioned in the same breath as they are...

And there is no way I see the pokies winning in week 3. Parcells is beyond his prime. Gibbs has his 2 year window of opportunity before he's past his.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Parcells is beyond his prime. Gibbs has his 2 year window of opportunity before he's past his.

B Parcells DOB: 8/22/1941

J Gibbs DOB: 11/25/1940

So, who is the senior member who is past his prime?

If I want to know what carbouretor to use at Talladega, I'll ask Joe Gibbs.

If it's 3rd and long with under 2 minutes, I'll take Parcells in a heartbeat.

Bad news for GibbsBaby, after a little research I have just discovered that in the past 13 meetings between our two beloved teams that the Cowboys are an astounding 12-1 in these games. That's got to be a tough one to swallow. Sept. 27th could not come sooner.

Touche

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Ah, but you include the Spurrier years in your statistics, they don't count, because we weren't actually playing football...

Recent records aside, I honestly believe that the Redskins have the better football team. This theory will be proven in that Monday night game.

And you forget, Joe didn't work on the cars, he just owned the team. By the way, how many rings does Bill have?

:party-smiley-018:

PA, it's a good thing you're a Lion fan, I jut might not like you otherwise....

[Edited on 9/18/2004 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

TRD

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Bad news for the Cowboys as rookie running back Julius Jones broke his left shoulder and is expected to be out about two months. Coach Bill Parcells said he didn't know exactly when Jones was injured during a 19-12 win over Cleveland on Sunday.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Can Eddie handle a whole game by himslef anymore??

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Can Eddie handle a whole game by himslef anymore??

They have Rashard Lee who is an adequate backup to give Eddie a breather every now and then and Parcells likes to use his fullback, Richie Anderson. 'Dem Skins gonna get a nice dose of Eddie a week from tonight.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Who'd you rather have, George or Portis?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Who'd you rather have, George or Portis?

That's easy, Portis.

Fortunately football is a team game, if you don't have the personnel to block for him he isn't going to be as productive.

Who'd you rather have, Testaverde or Brunell/Ramsey?

TRD

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

Who'd you rather have, Testaverde or Brunell/Ramsey?

None of them .....

Well i don't think we have played that great in the first two games so next game we should be picking it up.

Cowgirls had better watch out!

[Edited on 21/9/04 by TRD]

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
That's easy too, I've never been a big fan of vinny (remember the fiesta bowl? That's the only time I liked him
)

the thing is, individually, I think that the Redskins have teh better talent, up and down the team. It's just that Gibbs nedds a little more to to get them out of the bad habits that spurrier let them get away with.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
vinny man, he is a great QB, look at his age and look at how he is playing

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

Cowgirls had better watch out!

Deadskins going down this Monday night, TRD.

TRD

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Hey Fox good to see you around again...

Freak29 as for Vinny ---- OLD MAN....One injury will finish him off for good..

Deakskins huh? We'll see...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join