It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Buffalo Bills Preview 2004

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Out with the old, in with the new. This could be the 2004 Buffalo Bills' team motto, considering the changes they've made, as well as the drastic ones that potentially lie ahead. First, it was good-bye head-coach Gregg Williams, hello newcomer Mike Mularkey, and a new coaching staff. The Bills could also be doing some serious re-decorating in their 30th-ranked offense if QB Drew Bledsoe and RB Travis Henry don't live up to expectations, as rookie QB J.P. Losman and sophomore RB Willis McGahee, returning from a career-threatening torn left ACL, wait on line.

In terms of their defense, however, no improvement is necessary. Boasting the top-ranked defense against the pass in the AFC, the Bills are just fine with their D', and even added CB Troy Vincent to increase production in the turnover department. As long as Bledsoe can reunite his old greatness with a healthy and dangerous WR Eric Moulds, along with continued dominance from the defense, the Bills will be making lots of dollar bills as they wind up in the postseason.

The Insiders.com

Football About.com

Notable Returnees: RB Travis Henry, LB Takeo Spikes, WR Eric Moulds, CB Nate Clements, QB Drew Bledsoe, DE Aaron Schobel, DT Pat Williams

Notable Additions: OT Chris Villarrial (Bears), CB Troy Vincent (Eagles), WR Lee Evans (1st Round draft pick), RB Willis McGahee (off of IR)

Notable Subtractions: CB Antoine Winfield (Vikings), OG Rueben Brown (Bears)

In the off-season, most of the attention has been on QB J. P. Losman, WR Lee Evans, RB Willis McGahee, and of course, the new coaching staff headed by Mike Mularkey. There has also been some excitement surrounding Buffalo's injection of veteran blood. The additions of CB Troy Vincent and LB Jason Gildon should provide excellent leadership and experience. However, I believe the true issue facing this team is the line play. Where Buffalo fell down badly last year was their offence and in particular QB Drew Bledsoe, who was sacked 49 times. What does concern is this season is likely to see more zone blitzes and more sacks throughout the league as defences counter the crackdown on illegal contact beyond five yards. The idea is to give the signal callers less time to locate receivers and throw; something of course Drew Bledsoe didn't cope well with last term. To counter this Bledsoe has been surrounded with new coaches to help improve his game as well as the entire offence. In addition with rookie J.P. Losman waiting on the sidelines for his opportunity, Bledsoe should have a more productive season. What is more with a healthy Eric Moulds offering a deep threat along with rookie Lee Evans, who has impressed during the offseason so far, the receiving corps should be far more productive. An area on offence where Buffalo really ought to excel is with their ground attack. Running back Travis Henry has rushed for almost 3000 yards in the last two seasons, as well as catching 71 passes for 467. If anything happens to Henry then the promising Willis McGhee, now recovered from his knee injury, is ready to step in.

[Edited on 13/9/04 by TRD]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
if they are able to manage the running gmae in a successful way, and not have Henry and McGahee fighting over the ball, they can have a solid team. Drew is a great QB and his favorite target in Moulds, and them already having a solid defense they just need this running game ot prove what they want it to be.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Yeah, a solid team, they'll make a push for the playoffs, but fall short, I expect, since the AFC is loaded.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Key matchup fro the draft this weekend, but the Bills will lose out, and win the game...

TRD

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Bills wide receiver Eric Moulds can't hold on to a pass in the end zone as Ravens cornerback Chris McAllister tries to break it up.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Sputtering Bills name McGahee starter at RB

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Willis McGahee will start at running back Sunday for the Buffalo Bills in hopes of igniting a sputtering offense.

"He's made some more yards after first contact," coach Mike Mularkey said in announcing that the second-year back will start ahead of veteran Travis Henry.

"We're just trying to get a spark. It's not the only position that that may happen to. But right now that's the one that it is. And hopefully that's the spark in the run game that gets us rolling."

The Buffalo offense has failed to score more than 20 points in a game this season and has yet to produce a touchdown inside the opponent's 20-yard-line. It is last in the NFL with 77 points and its per game average of 12.8 is next to last.

The move could represent a permanent change at running back for the Bills, who selected McGahee 23rd overall in the 2003 draft despite having a proven starter in Henry.

McGahee had missed his entire rookie season recovering from reconstructive surgery on his left knee. He has become progressively healthier since he was cleared for full contact last spring.

In the last three games, McGahee has had the bulk of the carries, and gotten 211 of his 239 yards rushing for the season. That includes an 111-yard performance -- Buffalo's only 100-yard rushing effort this year -- in the Bills 20-13 win over Miami on Oct. 17.

He is averaging 3.9 yards a carry.

Henry, who did not play against Miami because of a sprained left foot, leads the team with 300 yards rushing, but is averaging just 3.4 yards a carry, after rushing for more than 1,300 yards in two consecutive seasons.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
boy i dunno about this one. we don't really give any respect to henry. i think he's a much better back right now. i'm hoping he's hurt, cause he does not deserve to be demoted. anything i guess if it will spark our offense. i really wish that losman wasn't out for the rest of my life so we could get bledsoe out of there and get someone who could move. it would be nice if our line would wake up. i miss brown.

TRD

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
On a wet and windy day at Ralph Wilson Stadium, running the ball was the action of choice - and Willis McGahee took full advantage.

In his first game since being announced as the starter, McGahee rushed for 102 yards and two touchdowns to ignite the struggling Buffalo Bills to a 38-14 victory over the Arizona Cardinals.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
willis looks very solid at RB very solid

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
yeah to say the very least. in a PATHETIC game from drew bledsoe, it's looking like willis is gonna be our man for a while. i've got a feeling henry will be gone at the end of the season. maybe we'll try to get a first round pick back...

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kooshdoctor
yeah to say the very least. in a PATHETIC game from drew bledsoe, it's looking like willis is gonna be our man for a while. i've got a feeling henry will be gone at the end of the season. maybe we'll try to get a first round pick back...

This is another team with 2 really good RB's, I wonder why they didn't make a trade with Miami?

TRD

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
In a windy Buffalo, New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington struggled, but the conditions had no effect on Willis McGahee, who rushed for 132 yards to lead the Bills to a 22-17 victory.

It was the third 100-yard rushing game of the season for McGahee, who was named as the starter over Travis Henry last month.

Pennington failed to complete any of his four attempts in the windy second half before leaving with a strained right shoulder.

But opposite number Drew Bledsoe managed to complete 7-of-13 for 74 yards, including a four-yard touchdown pass to rookie Lee Evans with 8:08 left in the third quarter snapping a 10-10 tie.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
it was all about willis in this game

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
he's looking awfully good. i don't know what we'd do without him this season. i'd say we pretty much owe our wins to him.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kooshdoctor
he's looking awfully good. i don't know what we'd do without him this season. i'd say we pretty much owe our wins to him.

are you from buffalo?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
no i'm just a huge buffalo fan.

TRD

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The Pittsburgh Steelers have already wrapped up home-field advantage throughout the AFC play-offs. Former offensive co-ordinator Mike Mularkey will need help to reach the post-season in his first season as coach of the Buffalo Bills.

Mularkey was the Steelers' tight ends coach from 1996-2000 before serving as offensive co-ordinator the last three seasons. Now in his initial year in Buffalo, Mularkey has guided the Bills to their first winning record since 1999. Mularkey was hired by general manager Tom Donahoe, who has been with the Bills since January 2001. Donahoe spent eight seasons as the Steelers' director of football operations and was instrumental in helping the team make six straight play-off appearances in the 1990s, including the Super Bowl in 1996.

For the Bills to become the first team since the 1992 San Diego Chargers to reach the play-offs following an 0-4 start, they will need a victory in this contest and either a loss by the New York Jets or Denver. The Jets play at St Louis while Denver host Indianapolis.

The Bills should have a major advantage entering this contest since Steelers coach Bill Cowher could elect to rest many of his starters. Rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is 13-0 as a starter, is doubtful with a rib injury. Buffalo also enter in the midst of a six-game winning streak, having scored at least 33 points in each contest. It is the Bills' longest winning streak since an eight-game run in 1990, the first of their four Super Bowl teams.

top topics

join