It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: San Diego Chargers Preview 2004

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
If there's any "charge" San Diego exhibits in their play, it's one to lose. Just look at last year's team, which ended up tied for the NFL's worst record at 4-12. Even if there's not much improvement in '04, Charger fans can always look forward to watching one of the game's best and most exciting players, RB LaDainian Tomlinson. Last season, Tomlinson became the first running back in NFL history to rush for over 1,000 yards and catch 100 passes.

Overall, he was third in the NFL in rushing with 1,645 yards, averaging 5.3 yards-per-carry in the process, and had 17 touchdowns as well. He also led the AFC in receptions with 100, which is rare for a running back. There is also the progression of rookie QB Phillip Rivers to watch out for, whom the Chargers acquired for first-overall pick QB Eli Manning on Draft Day. Other than that, though, the Chargers are nothing but cellar-dwellers. Their best receiver is Tim Dwight, the defense stinks, the offensive line is questionable... at least it means another good draft pick.

Football About.com

The Insiders.com

Star Power: LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, 4th year, 5-10, 221 lbs.

Notable Additions: Steve Foley (Houston), Randall Godfrey (Seattle), Mike Goff (Cincinnati), Roman Oben (acquired via trade with Tampa Bay)

Notable Subtractions: David Boston (traded to Miami), Marcellus Wiley, eight of eleven offensive linemen from 2003

Notable Returnees: Donnie Edwards, Lorenzo Neal, Antonio Gates

The only silver lining of last year's 4-12 campaign was the No. 1 draft pick that came as a result of that ineptitude. But the man who would have been king in San Diego - Eli Manning - pulled an Elway and made it known that he would not sign with the Chargers, who have not posted a winning year or made a playoff appearance since 1995. Manning's rights were traded to the Giants in exchange for No. 4 pick and North Carolina State quarterback Philip Rivers, who promptly held out for the first three-plus weeks of training camp before signing a contract. A franchise that has endured scathing criticism both on and off the field in the last year now must improve its reputation by doing something that has been an all too uncommon occurrence in San Diego over the past decade - winning football games.

LaDainian Tomlinson will tear up the league once again this year and is poised to break two Chargers ALL TIME Rushing records early in the season. Tomlinson needs just 7 rushing TD's to overtake Chuck Muncie as the Bolts All Time rush TD Leader. In addition, LT is just 408 yards behind Paul Lowe who leads the Bolts in All Time rushing yardage. LT has been playing three years in the league. Let's not overlook the other Running Backs the Chargers have. Lorenzo Neal is the best battering ram in the NFL. Jesse Chatman, Michael Turner, and Leon Johnson could ALL be starting on another team. San Diego has far too many holes. Their offensive line, wide receivers, and tight ends are average at best, meaning that Philip Rivers will have no time to throw and nobody to receive his passes. Looks like another year of LT running left, LT running right, and LT catching screen passes. The defense has some good players, especially in the secondary, but many of them are young. Additionally, the entire defense is switching to the 3-4, which means that even the veterans will be learning as they go. In short, the defensive line and linebackers could not stop the run last year, and they did not improve all that much. The secondary will be a year older and a year better, but without a pass-rush from the defensive line, any secondary can be exposed.

It could be another ugly year in San Diego. Even if Rivers can get ready in time for the season, or if Brees emerges from his two-season haze, how can a quarterback expect to succeed with a depleted line and a weak stable of receivers? Tomlinson's efforts have been heroic, but as he showed last season, he can't do it alone. The defense should be better with Phillips at the controls, but there is nothing to suggest that it can carry the team. Even the kicking game is beset by inexperience. The Chargers are a last place team if there ever was one, and five wins should be considered a serious improvement.

[Edited on 13/9/04 by TRD]

TRD

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Can you see Tomlinson hanging around at the Chargers? They have a pretty bad side and they must have been sick when Manning wouldn't sign with them..

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think they're gonna improve. Not this season, but shortly. Nest year, we might be talking playoffs. Thie year? 5-6 wins. But the potential will keep LT there.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
A winning record! 2nd in thier division!! Brees proving his worth!!!

Can it be?

Well, check back in a few weeks, but they are on a roll, with a little butter, they just may slide into the playoffs...

TRD

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
LaDainian Tomlinson erased a miserable first half by rushing for an eight-yard touchdown with 8:13 left in the third quarter to help the San Diego Chargers beat the Carolina Panthers 17-6.

TRD

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

The Chargers Jamal Williams and Shaun Phillips, behind, sack Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme in the second quarter.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
A winning record! 2nd in thier division!! Brees proving his worth!!!

Can it be?

Well, check back in a few weeks, but they are on a roll, with a little butter, they just may slide into the playoffs...

heh heh heh, you heard it here first!

:smug:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
What a year for the Chargers. Nobody thought they would be playing this well, Marty looks like the early favorite for NFL coach of the year. I think they should bring back the powder-blue uni's for good, they're cool looking.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I like those jersey's too, they're nice!

Marty has definitely done a good job with the Chargers this year, if the season ended today he'd be my pick.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Yes! One of my favorite uniforms of all times. I can't help but feel that the players get energized by those bolts of lightning on their shoulders. Are they legal?

Marty's done well so far but the rap on him has been in the playoffs and down the stretch. I like this team. I wish them well and think they should go far unless Marty has another choking fit.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I feel bad for Marty, if he would have been given a chnce in DC, he'd still be there and they might have even made a run at the playoffs during the past couple of seasons...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Agreed. I sense that Marty S is a good, decent guy who is well respected. He needs to exorcize those playoff demons. Maybe this is his year. Too bad for Marty that the AFC is so strong. He'd have to get past NE, Pittsburgh +/or Indy to get the the SBowl. Considering that level of competition, if he dosn't make it this year, it really cannot be fairly looked at as a choke.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
One of the guys on Around the Horn today (I forget which one) said he thinks they'll win the AFC...I think it was Platche (sp?)

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Maybe. I don't know that they have the D to take the AFC.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
His point was that they have the 2nd ranked D against the run, which is what you'd be doing in January in New England or Pittsburgh...

top topics

join