It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Sammy Sosa at his lowest in 10 years

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
CHICAGO (AP) - Struggling Sammy Sosa was dropped to No. 6 in the Chicago Cubs' batting order Saturday, the first time he's hit that low in more than 10 years.

Booed frequently at Wrigley Field recently, Sosa was batting just .254 before Saturday's game with Florida. He played the first game of Friday's doubleheader, going 0-for-4 with an error and also letting another ball drop between him and center fielder Corey Patterson. Sosa, who is eighth on the all-time home run list with 568, has been bothered by injuries this season, first a sprained ligament in his lower back brought on by a sneezing attack. Most recently, he's had a sore right hip.

Since coming off the disabled list for the back problem, he had batted .236 with 19 homers and 41 RBIs in 69 games before Saturday. Last month he volunteered to move down to No. 5 in order. Sosa has batted third 60 times this season, fourth 27 times and fifth 17 times. He hasn't batted sixth since June 10, 1994.

"Trying to give him some situations to relieve some of the pressure of being right there in the heart of the lineup and hopefully he'll respond and I can move him back up," manager Dusty Baker said before Saturday's game.

"I don't want him down there. I want him in the heart of things. Right now he's struggling some and trying to get his swing together, trying to get his timing. He's missed some time."

Sosa wasn't available for comment before Saturday's game.

Baker said some of Sosa's problems were related to his injuries.

"Some of it he's trying too hard. He's trying to sometimes hit an 8-run homer in one at-bat. And stop the boos and stuff. I think it affects him," Baker said.

"Start beating on the ball. That's the only way. That's why they were loving him in the first place, beating on the ball."

Associated Press

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I don't think its that he is trying too hard...he's always had that huge swing. I just think his bat speed is down, probably the result of injury or just wear.

new topics

join