It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Ricci to wear No. 40 for Coyotes to honor Pat Tillman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Pat Tillman gave up a glamorous life in football, and a lot of money, to do something truly amazing, he faught and died for his country. In a show of respoect to Tillman, Mike Ricci of the Pheonix Coyotes will wear jersey number 40. Ricci spent the last 7 seasons with the San Jose Sharks and signed with Pheonix as a free agent in July. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of Ricci jerseys will benefit the Pat Tillman Foundation.

Associated Press
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Phoenix Coyotes center Mike Ricci announced Wednesday that he will wear No. 40 next season to honor deceased NFL player Pat Tillman.

Tillman, 27, left the Arizona Cardinals and a multimillion-dollar contract in May 2002 to join the U.S. Army Rangers. He was killed last April 22 in Afghanistan, the first NFL player to die in combat since the Vietnam War.

"When I heard his story, it really touched me," Ricci said after donning his new Coyotes jersey at a news conference at Glendale Arena. "This is a way to pay tribute to what he's done."

Comments:
Ricci has always been a hard worker and a tough hockey player. But this shows a great amount of class. Kudos to Ricci.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
A very classy move on his part.

Kudos.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Way to go Ricci. This was the first I'd heard of Pat Tillman. But an athelete making the ultimate sacrifice like that. My hat's off to Tillman, and thanks to Ricci for exposing the story.

new topics

join