It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: TENNIS: US Open Offical apologizes

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
U.S. Open officials have apologized to Serena Williams for a controversial line call in her quarterfinal loss to Jennifer Capriati on Tuesday, according to a published report.

According to the report, Arlen Kantarian, the Chief Executive of Professional Tennis, contacted Williams.

"I called Serena," Kantarian said. "I apologized for the call, the overrule — which was a clear mistake — and told her how important she was to the U.S. Open, how she was a class act and how well she handled the situation last night.

"She was very appreciative of the call."

At deuce in the opening game of the third set Tuesday, Williams hit a backhand inside the sideline that was first called good by the lineswoman, but later overruled by umpire Mariana Alves.

The third-seeded Williams, who lost the match 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, initially thought Alves had simply called the score wrongly, but the Portuguese confirmed to USTA officials that she had overruled.

U.S. Open Tournament Director Jim Curley confirmed an earlier statement by the USTA that Alves would not officiate in any further matches at the tournament.

"It was a mistake but she is a very experienced umpire and mistakes get made out there," said Curley.

"She (Alves) was under consideration for another match, a women's match, but we decided that it was in the best interests of the tournament (that she step down)," he said.

Ben

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
What i dont get is that every player at some point of time gets line calls agaisnt him or her, but to act the way she did. Was a bit immature, call the lines person anti-serena!!!! thats a bit to fair, maybe she coulda won if she didnt make 57 unforced errors

new topics

join