It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Brees keeps starting job with Chargers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
SAN DIEGO (Sept. 6, 2004) -- Drew Brees was selected the starting quarterback of the San Diego Chargers, a move that was expected after he followed last season's miserable performance with a solid exhibition season.

Doug Flutie, 41, will be the backup, and Philip Rivers, the fourth pick in April's draft, will be the third-stringer. The Chargers also will carry Cleo Lemon on the active roster.

"It doesn't really change anything for me," said Brees, who's 4-16 in his last 20 starts. "There's still a lot of work ahead, and that's what I'm focused on."

The Chargers, an NFL-worst 4-12 last year, open at Houston.

Brees has been steady in four exhibition games, two of which the Chargers won. Brees, the Chargers' opening day starter the past two years, was 31 of 45 for 432 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions this summer. In 15 series, he directed the Chargers to five touchdowns and a field goal.

Last year, Brees was benched for five games and yanked from others. He threw 11 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions.

Rivers missed 29 practices and two exhibition games during a holdout.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I think Rivers holdout really hurt him. I was really surprised to see the Chargers go with four quarterbacks yet they cut CB Kwame Lassiter when rosters had to down to 53.

I dont care if the Bolts had Montana at QB, have you looked at their receivers?
Starters - Eric Parker and Reche Caldwell
Backups - Tim Dwight, Kassim Osgood

That's why LaDanian was almost 50% of the offesnse last season.

Their rookie tight end, Antonio Gates, has a huge upside and could see alot of balls this season.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
that is true, hopefully he gets some action.
(gates)

Rivers hold out hurt him without a doubt, if he didnt holdout he would have been the starter. he had a solid preseason the games that he did play in, he might have thrown some int's but they helped him learn.

new topics

join