It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Forsberg helps finance swedish arena

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:
Ben

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Peter Forsberg will help finance a new $23 million ice hockey arena in his northern Swedish hometown, his father Kent said Friday.
 

Forsberg, who grew up playing for local team Modo before becoming moving to the NHL and the Colorado Avalanche, will own 40 percent of the new arena along with his father, a press release said. The Modo club, which will have the 6,500-seat arena as its new home ice, will own the other 60 percent.

"For me, and especially for Peter, it has always felt natural to help realize the arena of the future and secure the future of hockey in Ornskoldsvik," Kent Forsberg said at a press conference.

The new arena, which has yet to be named, is scheduled to be completed in 2006.

Forsberg, winner of the Hart Trophy as the NHL's best player in 2003, has said he likely will play for Modo next season if the NHL players go on strike or there is a lockout.

Ornskoldsvik, a seaport with some 31,000 people, is located halfway between the Swedish capital Stockholm and the Arctic Circle. The town has produced a wealth of ice hockey talents, including Markus Naslund of the Vancouver Canucks and twins Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

Forsberg has been one of the most popular athletes in Sweden ever since he scored the winning penalty shot against Canada in the 1994 Olympic Games at Lillehammer, Norway.

It is not the first time he pours money into promoting his home town. Last summer, he opened a U.S. $5 million golf course on what used to be an agricultural college outside Ornskoldsvik.

Forsberg currently is on the roster for Sweden, which plays Nordic rival Finland on Saturday in the World Cup.




posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Pretty classy. Putting back into the system. A novel idea.



 
0

log in

join