It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Green Bay sends Couch packing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Tim Couch was the 1st overall pick of the Cleveland Browns back in 1999 and was signed in June by the Green Bay Packers after his release from the Browns. The hope was for him to be a solid backup to Brett Favre. But injuries and lack of production with the West Coast offense kept him from that role. With the current state of quarterbacks and injuries in the NFL, it is doubtful that Couch will be out of a job for long.

SportsLine.com
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Quarterback Tim Couch, the top pick in the 1999 NFL Draft, was cut Sunday by the Green Bay Packers, who hoped he'd be an upgrade over Doug Pederson as Brett Favre's primary backup.

Couch was bedeviled by a sore throwing arm and an inability to grasp the intricate West Coast offense in such a short time and couldn't even unseat Craig Nall as the Packers' third quarterback.

"He just wasn't productive enough," Packers coach-general manager Mike Sherman said. "He's a good kid, he worked, he went to the meetings and all those things. It just didn't work out."

Couch completed just 11 of 34 passes for 96 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions in three preseason games.

Comments:
Once again, a #1 draft pick falls from grace. Someday, somebody will learn that a #1 pick does not mean a Hall Of Fame player. I think part of the problem is that the #1 pick gets thrown into situations that they are not ready for. They do not have time to grow and learn the NFL game. Instead they are told to go out on day one and take the team to the playoffs.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
You know, this sucks, because I have him in my keeper league (by the way, my team sucks), kept him from last year, thinking he'd be a viable backup for Favre. Hope he gets a better job, and soon!

Is that Dallas calling?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
dallas could be calling, could use a 3rd stringer like him maybe?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Tennessee was looking for a backup, did they get one yet?

new topics

top topics

join