It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Spinks beats Gonzalez in unanimous decision

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Cory Spinks easily retained his undisputed welterweight championship Saturday night, unanimously outpointing Miguel Angel Gonzalez at Mandalay Bay.

Spinks won 10 of the 12 rounds on all three judges cards in a dominant performance. Gonzalez was never able to land consecutive punches.

"I'm very satisfied. I dominated the fight," said Spinks, the son of the former heavyweight champion Leon Spinks. "What more could I ask for?"

Gonzalez won the first and ninth rounds on the cards of judges Carol Castellano, Jerry Roth and Duane Ford.

A former 140-pound champion, Gonzalez (49-4-1) pressed the action but could not answer Spinks' footspeed. Gonzalez hit 147-pound Spinks low several times, but failed to turn the fight into a brawl.

Referee Joe Cortez deducted a point from the 146-pound Gonzalez for an eighth-round low blow and warned him repeatedly for other fouls.

"He was just too elusive," Gonzalez said. "Whatever I tried, he had an answer for. I felt I hurt him a couple of times, but I could not capitalize on the opportunity."

Spinks improved to 34-2.

In the co-feature, Lamon Brewster won the final round on two of the three judges' cards, winning a split decision over Australian Kali Meehan in a heavyweight fight.

Brewster, who holds the lightly regarded WBO title, survived an eighth-round assault.

But Brewster, who fought a lackluster bout most of the night, won the final three rounds on the cards of judges Nelson Vazquez and Dave Moretti to earn the victory.

"I thought I won the fight, because I thought I did a little more than he did," said Brewster, who will likely fight former champion Evander Holyfield in his next bout. "It was a great fight and my hat's off to Kali, because he fought like a champion. We gave the people a show."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

new topics

join