It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Chiefs might lose Boerigter for year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Marc Boerigter will undergo knee surgery on Monday and might be lost for the year, throwing Kansas City's tattered wide receiver corps into even greater disarray.

Boerigter, who seemed ready to rebound from a subpar 2003 season, twisted his right knee in a noncontact play early in the Chiefs' 21-19 exhibition loss Saturday night to Cleveland.

Coach D. Vermeil said Sunday that doctors believe Boerigter might have suffered ligament damage.

"I'll know more tomorrow after they operate as to what the projections are," Vermeil said. "Personally, I don't believe (Boerigter will return) this season. That hurt me more than losing the game."

The 6-foot-3 Boerigter totaled 420 yards and eight touchdowns on just 20 catches in 2002, his first year in the NFL. He slumped last season but looked sharp all through camp, catching four passes for 50 yards last Monday night against St. Louis.

Johnny Morton, slated to start alongside Eddie Kennison at wide receiver, has missed virtually the entire training camp with a sore Achilles' tendon. Kennison, also slowed by injury, made his first start of the preseason against the Browns.

"I have no clue when (Morton) is coming back," Vermeil said. "He broke a sweat last night in the pregame warmups and that was a positive. But an Achilles' tendon isn't like dealing with any other injury to your body."

The enfeebled wide receiver group - never a strength in Vermeil's four seasons - may wind up weakening one of the Chiefs' most potent weapons, the electrifying return game of Dante Hall.

A pro bowler who returned five kicks for touchdowns last year, Hall is also a backup wide receiver. Should he have to shoulder a greater load as a pass-catcher, Hall would almost certainly be relieved of some of his return duties.

"We'll have to have someone else take maybe a punt return from time to time and/or a (kickoff)," Vermeil said.

"He's not a 210-pound back. He's a physically strong, gifted athlete. But we don't want to wear him out either. It will be a factor."

[Edited on 8/29/2004 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Terrible news for my Chiefs. They are already thin at receiver, this does not help at all. Good thing is, they still have Priest. Looks like some of the other receivers will need to step up, and maybe Tony G will get the ball a little more. Of course with Boerigter out, they can put a corner on Tony.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
it hurts them, but every team has been getting injuries its just the sport, and you have to work around them

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Hey crayon, who's Priests back-up?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Hey crayon, who's Priests back-up?

Larry Johnson - First Round (27th overall) pick in 2003 from Penn State.

I expect to see more of him. The Chiefs played Priest sparringly after his hip injury. In several games last year, Priest did not even play the 2nd half since the Chiefs were destroying some opponents.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
someone was trying to tell me otherwise, that Blaylock was the backup.

new topics

top topics

join