It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Iverson rips NBA no Shows

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Allen Iverson was one of the few top-tier NBA stars willing to play for the United States in the Olympics, and after Team USA was bounced in the semifinals Friday, the 76ers star had some harsh words for the NBA players who turned down the opportunity to represent their country.

"Any person that's selected to a team like this, it shouldn't be a question in your mind," Iverson told the Washington Post. "It shouldn't even be something to think about. You're honored to get a chance to represent your country, and what's better than that?"

Iverson wasn't invited to participate in the 2000 Olympics but was on the team that participated in a qualifying tournament last summer just for the right to reach the Olympics. And, while he didn't name names, questioned the players that would accept NBA riches yet refuse to represent their country.

"Anybody that grew up in the U.S. and is able to be a basketball player in the NBA, you understand what that country has done for you and your family," Iverson said. "It gave you an opportunity to support your family and be recognized as a household name. I mean, it's just an honor to be able to do something like that, and I would advise anybody that's selected to a team like this to take that honor and cherish it."

Shaquille O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, Jason Kidd, Ray Allen and Mike Bibby are among the NBA stars who turned down a chance to play in the Olympics.

Before Friday's 89-81 semifinal loss to Argentina, NBA commissioner David Stern begged reporters to stop talking about which players didn't come to Athens.

"We have a great, great team here," Stern said. "I shouldn't say that. We have 12 great basketball players."

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
One of the many excuses of a loser. But the loss is good for basketball. The olympics have actually interested me in European basketball.

As for the the Argentinians keeping the same team as a reason for beating the states is not an excuse for the US loss. Canada has also had the same team for quite a while now with no future progress in sight. Bottom line is that the quality of the players and the ability to shoot 3's for the Argentine team was the main factor that played out in many of their games. Not to forget their 2-3 defence stance, and quick counter attacks that also proved successful.

Ben

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I was watching ESPN just a while ago and there was a discussion on the NBA team.

And one of the things that came up is that Micheal Jordan was good and bad for basketball for the fact that he showed players how to play selfish basketball and that is when popeple started to score for themselves more.

Unlike, when it was Bird and Johnson who showed us how to play a team game.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Iverson is so right in what he says

Playing Devils Advocate

Would Iverson gone to the Olympics if he had already been to one:party-smiley-018:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
how do countries work their world cup soccer teams when all the players are playing for different teams? aren't these teams also all star teams like the usa basketball team? how do they find the time to develop as a TEAM with all their other commitments?

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The International Footy team play about 10-12 games a year and normally have a 3-5 days together each game

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
the usa should seriously make an internation team and ahve a couple of international teams within the country. So when it does come time to play internation ball. We hold a tournament and that team moves on to play internationally

Ben

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
i think that AI had no right to rip NBA stars that didnt show

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by freak29
the usa should seriously make an internation team and ahve a couple of international teams within the country. So when it does come time to play internation ball. We hold a tournament and that team moves on to play internationally

Who would pay them? Seriously, what NBA caliber player would do this, when they could be making multi-millions in the NBA?

new topics

top topics

join