It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: NCCA Says no to Williams

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
All-American Mike Williams, was denied his request to play for Southern California by the NCAA on Thursday, leaving the star receiver unable to rejoin the top-ranked Trojans after being shut out of the NFL draft by the courts.

"I'm glad it's over. Now the team can move forward and I can move forward," Williams said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "I'm disappointed. I did everything asked of me. I don't know yet what I'm going to do. I'll just relax for the weekend and watch the game and root for my team."

The ruling came down shortly before the Trojans boarded an airplane for Baltimore. They open their season Saturday night against Virginia Tech at FedEx Field in Landover, Md.

USC coach Pete Carroll was angry with the ruling and its timing.

"It's very cold and insensitive for them to deny him this opportunity," he said. "As a football team, we've been prepared for this for a while. I'm not surprised by it, but I'm disappointed for Mike and his family. You'll have to go and ask the NCAA for answers, how they can turn someone down who is academically eligible."

The school had applied to the NCAA for a progress-toward-degree waiver and reinstatement of Williams' eligibility.

USC officials were unsure if there were any appeals still available for Williams but he said he didn't plan to pursue them, anyway.

"I'm kind of done with it right now," he said.

Williams, who told ESPN The Magazine's Bruce Feldman he will work out with USC strength coach Chris Carlisle while attending classes for the next four months, will be eligible for the 2005 draft. By then, he will be the minimum three years removed from high school. In his quest to have his academic eligibility restored, Williams also took summer classes.

He caught 95 passes for 1,314 yards and a school-record 16 touchdowns last season to help the Trojans (12-1) win a share of the national championship.

The 20-year-old Williams, a sure-handed 6-foot-5, 230-pounder, finished eighth in the Heisman Trophy balloting as a sophomore last year.

After a court ruled that Ohio State's Maurice Clarett was eligible to play in the NFL, Williams left USC in the spring, hired an agent and said he was turning pro. That made him ineligible to play for the Trojans.

He was projected as a high draft pick, but on May 24, an appeals court overturned the earlier ruling and upheld the NFL's right to bar players who had been out of high school for less than three years.

Williams has been out of high school less than three years, as has Clarett, who was suspended last season after starring at Ohio State as a freshman.

After the appeals court ruling, Williams severed ties with his agent and began the process of applying to the NCAA for reinstatement.

He returned to USC and took summer classes, seeking to have his academic eligibility also restored.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I forget, where is Clarett this season?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
I forget, where is Clarett this season?

Clarett who?

I'm also not suprised by the NCAA's ruling, but the timing sucks. They should have decided this about a month ago to let the team know what the heck was going on.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Clarett who?

LMAO

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
This guy Williams is a bit unluckyhe can't play College ball and he can not play in the NFL and next year when the draft comes around he will have gone a year without playing so surely he won't be as highly regarded as he would of been if he had been drafted this year

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdyBaby
This guy Williams is a bit unluckyhe can't play College ball and he can not play in the NFL and next year when the draft comes around he will have gone a year without playing so surely he won't be as highly regarded as he would of been if he had been drafted this year

I'm not so sure about that. He can still practice and work out with USC, which he is doing. I think he'll get just as much if not more consideration next year since he won't be injured this year since he can't play in the games. He'll still go high in the draft next year.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Would he be able to play in another league, liek semi-pro or the CFL?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
i believe he can play in the CFL or on a semi pro team, but if i were him i think i'd rather just take part in practice and training with USC. It's a top notch program and he's still taking classes.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Just seen on NFL LIVE they reacon he will go higher in the draft next year because of the depth of WR this year was so strong that it won't be as strong come Draft 2005 for WR

Ben

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Im not surprised at all he knew that getting an agent for himself was going to rule him ineligable for the next season, but he played his cards, and he tried. He should have read the rules a bit more clearly. Stating that you have to play 3 years of college ball before going to the Pro's its for his own good that he isnt in the NFL right now.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
Stating that you have to play 3 years of college ball before going to the Pro's its for his own good that he isnt in the NFL right now.

I don't understand, how is it for his own good? He;s missing out on a year of eligibility, and a year of actual playing time. What is the benefit of that?

Ben

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
his muscle size and body have yet to take shape, sure he is built probably, but going agaisnt the defensive linebackers like Ray lewis across the middle. i dont think his body is ready for that yet.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Valid point, but I guess I'm of the opinion that the individual should make those decisions, not some ruling body.

Ben

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
i also like this decision to force the college students that they must stay longer so that they can get an education. Unlike basketball where they will skip college. Football is a more dangerous sport than Basketball and you can get a career ending injury like that, so an education is much needed.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
But again, I feel that it's the individual's decision to make. If they don't want the free education, than they don't need to be forced into the classes. If they want to be bums, let them be bums. Not that they all do, but I think a good percentage does.

Ben

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yea i know what you are saying. I have been thinking about it they might hav the physical capabillity of going into the NFL but are they mentally ready for such a change?

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Probably not, but that would make thier market value (draft position) lower.

At least one would think. But it's common in the NBA to draft players more on potential, and consider them "projects", only to have them leave afater thier initial contract is up, and attain thier potential at another team (ie, Jermaine O'Neil)

I don't understand that

Ben

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
i dont understand amny moves that owners take. Like taking a high school player over a high school player.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
i dont understand amny moves that owners take. Like taking a high school player over a high school player.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
i'd bet he meant taking a high school player over a college player.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join