It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: P.A. announcer fired for McGreevey joke

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - The public address announcer for the Atlantic City Surf of the independent Atlantic League was fired and the scoreboard operator resigned after poking fun at Gov. James E. McGreevey's sexual orientation.

Announcer Greg Maiuro dedicated a between-innings rendition of the song "YMCA" to McGreevey during a game on Aug. 17, less than a week after New Jersey's governor announced that he had had an extramarital affair with a man and would resign. The 1970s hit song by the Village People is widely considered a gay anthem.
The following night, scoreboard operator Marco Cerino posted the message "Sponsored by Gov. Jim McGreevey" on the scoreboard when the song was played. Cerino resigned over the incident, the team said.

"Any time anyone speaks representing the Surf, they have to understand that we don't politicize," said team co-owner Frank Boulton. "It's not our place to do so. And it's just disrespectful."

The men left their jobs Monday.

"I was told what I did was wrong," Maiuro said. "I can see where you don't want to mix politics and baseball. I would have been willing to apologize."

new topics

join