It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Carling Cup results 24/08/04

page: 1

log in


posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:22 PM
Coca-Cola Championship leaders Wigan crashed out of the Carling Cup tonight with a 1-0 defeat at Grimsby.Andy Parkinson scored the winner for the home side after 17 minutes at Blundell Park when he latched onto a long ball and finished past Gary Walsh.

Oldham knocked out Stoke at Boundary Park after Carl Asaba gave the Championship side the lead. He was sent through by skipper Clive Clarke after 25 minutes and finished confidently past Les Pogliacomi. Wayne Thomas was sent off early in the second half and Latics pressure forced an equaliser from David Eyres after 72 minutes. John Eyre then scored the winner from the penalty spot four minutes later after a harsh handball decision against Clint Hill.

Derby were knocked out by Lincoln despite Inigo Idiakez scoring a spectacular free-kick after 28 minutes. The former Rayo Vallecano midfielder's effort went on off the crossbar from 25 yards at Sincil Bank but he then handballed in the second half and Gary Taylor-Fletcher equalised with the penalty. Simon Yeo then grabbed a second moments later and Jamie McCombe sealed the win with a late strike.

Northampton won 2-1 at Gillingham after Eric Sabin and Scott McGleish scored in the first half for the Cobblers at Priestfield. Mamady Sidibe pulled one back for the home side just after half-time but they could not find an equaliser.

There was another shock at the Withdean Stadium with Brighton losing to Bristol Rovers. Guy Butters scored after 11 minutes for the Seagulls but Lee Thorpe equalised after 25 minutes and Richard Walker scored the winner for the League Two side five minutes later.

Leeds won 1-0 against Huddersfield after Michael Ricketts' powerful header came off the crossbar and Danny Pugh scored from the rebound at the second attempt.

Colchester are through to the next round after a 2-1 win against Cheltenham. Craig Fagan scored after 12 minutes at Layer Road and Gavin Johnson added a second just after the hour mark. Martin Devaney scored for Chelenham with 20 minutes remaining to set up an exciting finish.

Crewe won easily against Blackpool after taking a four-goal lead in the first half. Steve Jones, Mark Rivers and Dean Ashton scored early on and Jones added another just before the break at Gresty Road. Scott Taylor scored a consolation in the second half for the Seasiders.

Lee Steele scored for Leyton Orient after 12 minutes but they still lost 3-1 to Bournemouth. Marcus Browning equalised after 33 minutes and Warren Cummings scored with 64 minutes gone. James Hayter wrapped up the win with a strike seven minutes later.

QPR won 3-0 at home to Swansea. Jamie Cureton scored the opener six minutes before the break, Martin Rowlands added a second and Kevin Gallen wrapped up the win.

Rotherham grabbed a late win against Chesterfield after falling behind in the 15th minute to a Mark Allott goal. They equalised 12 minutes before the break with a goal from Michael Proctor and Richie Barker scored the winner seven minutes from time.

West Ham won 2-0 against Southend after Marlon Harewood scored on 11 minutes at Upton Park. The visitors dominated the second half but Harewood doubled the lead with seconds remaining.

Ipswich struggled early on against Brentford but eventually showed Championship form at Portman Road. Pablo Counago had an effort disallowed in the first half and Tommy Miller scuffed a shot past Stuart Nelson midway through the second half to give them the win. Ian Westlake grabbed a second with second remaining.

Andy Ferrell scored the only goal for Watford against Cambridge with eight minutes remaining at Vicarage Road.

Sporting Life


log in