It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Jasikevicius' hot shooting sends Team USA to second loss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
ATHENS, Greece -- Redemption came from the perfect spot -- the 3-point line -- for Sarunas Jasikevicius.

The Lithuanian guard, whose off-target 3-pointer kept his team from pulling off the biggest upset of the Sydney Olympics, didn't miss when it counted Saturday night against the Americans in a thrilling 94-90 victory.

He hit three in a row from behind the arc as the fourth quarter wound down, including a rare four-point play that put his team ahead to stay. He finished with 28 points.

The loss was the second of the Athens Games for the Americans, matching their total from the country's first 68 years of Olympic competition. But the U.S. team still can make it to the quarterfinals with a victory over Angola on Monday.

The Americans gave their best all-around performance of these Olympics and led for most of the game, but they missed 11 of 33 foul shots to allow Lithuania to stay close.

Lithuania went 10-for-10 from the line in the fourth quarter before Jasikevicius was fouled on a 3-pointer with 2:47 left and hit the foul shot. After a miss by Allen Iverson, Jasikevicius made another to make it 88-84.

Richard Jefferson answered with a 3, but Jasikevicius wasn't done. He made another 3-pointer to restore a four-point edge. A turnover by Stephon Marbury was followed by a pair of foul shots by Jasikevicius to make it 93-87 with 57 seconds left.

Lithuania improved to 4-0, clinching the top spot in Group A and joining Spain as the only two unbeaten teams. Saulius Strombergas added 16 points and Ramunas Siskauskas had 14.

Jefferson returned to the starting lineup and led the U.S. team with 20 points. Tim Duncan added 16.

"We have to play four quarters of our best basketball, or it's going to be kind of ugly," U.S. coach Larry Brown had predicted.

The Americans were anything but ugly, finding ways to penetrate the zone defense, using their defense to create turnovers and generally looking as crisp for 40 minutes as they have since coming together for training camp late last month.

But it still wasn't good enough against an opponent with more experience playing together and more poise down the stretch.

Ben

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Lets face it everybody USA cant play team basketball.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Yeah. What's up with Jasikevicius? Is he like the International Reggie Miller or what?
That 4-pt. play was the game. US was up 3 when he hit that shot. We make a stop there, I think we control the rest of the game.

I thought we were going to win too. We were up 10 in the first Quarter. And then in the 4th Quarter. Iverson had a flurry of 5 points. Duncan hit a tough 10-foot jump hook from the right baseline. And Jefferson hit a three. I thought that would stem the tide our way but I was wrong.

Things aren't all bad though. It's not the medal round so it ain't over yet and I believe all we have to do is beat Angola (the worst team in the Olympics) on Monday to qualify for the medal round.

Also Carmelo Anthony actually contributed something today. 5 points.

And Richard Jefferson finally got his outside shot to fall. I think he hit 3 threes in the 4th Quarter. Maybe he'll be able to help Iverson out on the outside in the future.

Ben

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I woudlnt be too hasty as to say that Angola is the worst team, if you remember USA basketball got beaten by teams that arnt even in the olympics. USA basketball sucks right now its plain and simple, they arnt a TEAM

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
*sigh* Well I think they'll still medal but I wouldn't put any money on them bringing home the gold though.

Ben

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
There are many good teams out there that they havent Faceed, they lost to a team that is 5-0 and if they play them again they are surely going to lose, You also have spain out there that is probably the best team.

top topics

join