It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Britains Denise Lewis pulls out of the games

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Denise Lewis admitted she was "physically and emotionally devastated" after deciding to pull out of the Olympic Games.

The defending Olympic heptathlon champion, clearly struggling with her fitness, battled through the opening day's four disciplines, grimacing as she hobbled off the track after the 200metres.

Lewis did compete in the long jump on Saturday morning but she was lying 18th in the competition and decided to bring an end to her brave battle.

Lewis, who was 199 points behind the bronze medal position with the javelin and 800m to go, said: "I have put my heart and soul into this year with only goal and one mission in mind - to come away from the Olympic Games with a medal.

"I am physically and emotionally devastated and anyone who has ever understood what it's like to be a sportsperson will understand what I am really talking about.

"I am completely empty at this moment and unable to continue and would do myself even less justice going through the motions when all my hopes have gone."

Sporting Life

join