It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Flutie returns following knee surgery

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
CARSON, Calif. (AP) - San Diego Chargers quarterback Doug Flutie was back where he's most comfortable: on a football field.

On Thursday, the 41-year-old Flutie participated in his first full practice since having arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on Aug. 5.

"It was fun," said Flutie, the Chargers' backup behind Drew Brees with rookie Philip Rivers unsigned. "It was nice to get back out there and feel like I belong. I was on the outside looking in for about 2 weeks."

Flutie showed a few signs of the layoff, although he easily moved the Chargers' offense during the 11-on-11 drill.

"I had a couple balls slip out of my hand, but that was mostly because of my feet on the shorter, timing routes," Flutie said. "On the upfield stuff, where I was letting things develop, I threw the ball very well."

Coach Marty Schottenheimer was impressed with Flutie's performance. But he wouldn't commit to Flutie playing in Saturday night's exhibition game against the Arizona Cardinals.

"We might get him a little bit of time, but what I want to do is make sure we don't have any setbacks with the thing," Schottenheimer said.

Flutie, the 1984 Heisman Trophy winner who's in his 20th pro training camp, is excited to play.

"I want to be on the field to prove that I still belong and I can help the team," said Flutie, who went 2-3 as a starter last year and gave the Chargers half their victory total.

"But missing camp time might benefit a quarterback trying to cheat Father Time.

"It's been very frustrating being hurt, sitting back and watching. But also, it's been good in the fact that I'm not beating myself up. I got to let my knee heal and there's no wear and tear on my arm and my feet feel good. So I will go into the season healthy."

Ben

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
If rivers doesnt join the team it would be interesting if flutie could beat out Brees

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
If rivers doesnt join the team it would be interesting if flutie could beat out Brees

I doubt that Rivers will miss the entire season, but I wouldn't look for him to start this year, at least until they are out of the playoff race (week 2)

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Originally posted by Ben

I doubt that Rivers will miss the entire season, but I wouldn't look for him to start this year, at least until they are out of the playoff race (week 2)

LOL, thats an optimistic assessment, I was thinking more along the lines of the fourth quarter of the first game

Ben

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Fluties is a magician when it comes to 4th quater comebacks.

It seems as though that talks between Rivers and the chargers are going no where, and i rookie QB cant miss training camp and preseason games if he expects to start

top topics

join