claim they have sold forward Luis Garcia
for 6million, subject to a medical. Barca's sporting director
Txiki Begiristain expects the deal will be completed on Friday. Should the fine details of the move be resolved, Luis Garcia will join compatriots
Josemi and Antonio Nunez at the Merseyside club, with Xabi Alonso also expected to join from Real Sociedad.
defender Jonathan Woodgate
has joined Real Madrid
after passing a medical. The deal for the 24-year-old England
centre-back is believed to be in the region of 13.4million. Woodgate arrived in Madrid on a flight from Munich where he had a consultation with a
German specialist over the thigh injury which has kept him out of action since April. He has suffered with various injuries during his time at
Newcastle, whom he joined from Leeds in January last year. Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd was quick to dismiss claims that he offered defender
Woodgate to Real Madrid 'on a plate'. But Shepherd insists the initial approach came from Real, adding they are the only club for which Woodgate would
striker Ricardo Fuller
has joined Portsmouth
on a two-year pay-as-you-play deal. The Jamaican forward's 1.7million move
to Fratton Park collapsed earlier this summer because of a knee problem but he was recently told he does not need surgery by specialist Dr Richard
Steadman. The 25-year-old arrived at Deepdale from Hearts in the summer of 2002 and scored 19 goals last season. Fuller proved his fitness by
returning for Craig Brown's side against Watford and scoring in North End's 2-1 defeat at Gillingham. The deal suits Preston, who had been concerned
Fuller could walk away for nothing when his contract expired next summer.
have agreed terms with Cameroon midfielder Serge Branco
following a successful trial spell. However, they have not received
international clearance for the 23-year-old to face Nottingham Forest on Saturday. Branco, who has also trained with Championship rivals QPR this
summer, has signed a one-year deal with the option for a further year at Elland Road. He joins United on a free transfer as his contract with German
side VFB Stuttgart ran out at the end of last season.
strikers Miguel Angulo
have been linked again with moves to the Premiership. Although the Spanish champions
have yet to receive a formal offer for Angulo, agent Jose Luis Tamargo confirmed that an English club had expressed an interest - although he would
not say which one.
have cancelled the contract of goalkeeper Jurgen Macho
by mutual consent. The Austrian joined the Blues on a free transfer from
Sunderland last summer but suffered a cruciate ligament injury which prevented him making any first-team appearances last season. Macho had Petr Cech,
Carlo Cudicini, Lenny Pidgeley and Marco Ambrosio ahead of him in the battle for the number one jersey at Stamford Bridge and the Londoners have
agreed to release him.
pursuit of Dutch winger Andy van der Meyde
seems set for failure after his agent insisted he wanted to stay and fight for his
place at Inter Milan. Chiel Dekker confirmed Everton had made an approach to sign the Holland international.
Dutch international midfielder Mark van Bommel
has said he will be leaving PSV Eindhoven
for Borussia Dortmund
before the current
transfer window closes. If van Bommel does move to Dortmund, he will be linking up with his father-in-law Bert van Marwijk, the current coach of the
German giants. Van Bommel's claims have filtered through to Germany but have been played down by Dortmund's sport director Michael Zorc.