It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Phelps wins his 6th gold

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
American Michael Phelps edged teammate Ian Crocker for Olympic gold in the 100-meter butterfly Friday night, tying Mark Spitz's 32-year-old record for most individual swimming medals in one games -- four.

The 19-year-old from Baltimore rallied in the last 25 meters and won in an Olympic-record 51.25 seconds, lowering the record of 51.61 he set in the semifinals.

Cocker took silver in 51.29. Andriy Serdinov of Ukraine earned bronze in 51.36.

Crocker was under his own world-record pace at the turn, and Phelps was fifth in the lane next to him. But Phelps used his huge arms to surge past Crocker and win by four-hundredths of a second.

Phelps has five gold medals and two bronze, with one day left in the swimming competition. Friday, he earned the right to swim in the 400 medley relay, giving him a chance to break the record of most medals by an American in one Olympics.

He is tied with Spitz, swimmer Matt Biondi and shooters Lloyd Spooner and Willis Lee. Spooner and Lee won their seven medals at the 1920 Antwerp Games. Spitz won seven at the 1972 Munich Olympics and Biondi won seven in 1988 at Seoul.

Phelps' other individual golds were in the 200 butterfly and 200 and 400 individual medleys. He won gold in the 800 freestyle relay, and bronze medals in the 200 freestyle and 400 free relay.

Crocker, of Portland, Maine, is the current world champion.

Kirsty Coventry of Zimbabwe won the Olympic gold medal in the 200-meter backstroke.

Coventry led all the way and finished in 2 minutes, 9.19 seconds.

Stanislava Komarova of Russia, an 18-year-old who was the fastest qualifier, earned silver in 2:09.72. Reiko Nakamura of Japan took bronze in 2:09.88.

Coventry swims at Auburn University, although her family lives in the Zimbabwe capital of Harare. She already won a silver in the 100 back and a bronze in the 200 individual medley in Athens.

Margaret Hoelzer of Huntsville, Ala., finished fifth in 2:10.70.

[Edited on 21/8/04 by TRD]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Just heard that Phelps has pulled out of 4x 100m Medley even so if USA win gold he will get one because he swam in the heats

Ben

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I wonder why he pulled out

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
could be knackered lol!!!!!

Ben

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
i dunno the kid is 19 years old

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
even 19 year olds get knackered i don't necessarily mean his swimming
i mean he has had a lot of pressure on him by the usa press and public saying that he was gonna win 8 golds and making out he is the next Mark Spitz

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Mark Spitz was a legend. Phelps fell short of the expectations put on him, to restore pride in the US.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
He's got a chance to do it in 4 years...hopefully without all the pressure, or at lest he'll be able to handle it better.

TRD

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Michael Phelps took his gold medal count to six, and his overall total to eight as the USA broke the world record in the men's 4x100m medley relay final.

The teenager did not race, but earned gold because he took part in the heats.

Ben

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
this was magical by this kid, what a job a 19 year old kid did.

TRD

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yeah it's unbelievable. No wonder he never raced in the final as he must have been shattered. Image how many races he actually did, all the heats, semi's and finals to get all his other medals.

Ben

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
i think that he did 17 or 18 total racers. This is amazing consdering some people only race 4 or 5

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
curious - how many races did Spitz run in '72?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
Mark Spitz was a legend. Phelps fell short of the expectations put on him, to restore pride in the US.

You must be joking!!!! Michael Phelps is a legend. Whose this Mark Spitz guy i've never heard of him
:

Did not realise USA pride was so fragile!

" 2 Bronze medals thats our final count"

oh by the way only part of what i said was tongue in cheek

Phelps is a legend

I heard on the BBC that they reacon that Phelps swam over 40 miles this week

[Edited on 8/21/04 by AdyBaby]

new topics

top topics

join