It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Ichiro dizzy after being hit

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Ichiro Suzuki did not sustain a concussion when he was hit in the head by a pitch, but the Seattle Mariners' star still felt slightly dizzy Thursday and was not scheduled to play against Kansas City.

The game was postponed by rain before it began and rescheduled as part of a doubleheader in Seattle on Aug. 28. The Mariners are not scheduled to return to Kansas City this year and the teams do not have a common day off. Both managers said their pitching rotation would remain the same.

Suzuki, who leads the majors with 189 hits and a .366 average, was hit on the back right side of his head by a 1-2 pitch from rookie Jimmy Serrano on Wednesday night. The outfielder stayed face-down in the batter's box for several minutes.

"The tests were OK, so I should be fine," Suzuki said through a translator. "We'll see how dizzy I am tomorrow."

It was first thought Suzuki sustained a mild concussion. Nevertheless, dizziness persisted Thursday afternoon.

"When I'm up and I'm moving around is when I feel it a little bit," he said. "Last night's was probably the hardest I've been hit."

Seattle's trainer checked on Suzuki every five hours through the night.

"I slept good," he said. "I dreamt that I was getting weird questions from you guys."

It was just the third major league start for Serrano, a right-hander who might face the Mariners again next week in Seattle.

"I don't feel anything special in facing him again. He's just a pitcher like everybody else," Suzuki said.

Seattle manager Bob Melvin said he did not think Ichiro was hit on purpose, but the player declined to speculate.

"I have nothing to say to that or any opinion to that," he said.

Royals manager Tony Pena called Melvin a few minutes after the game to check on Suzuki.

"That was a real, real scary moment," Pena said. "Hopefully, they didn't think we did it on purpose."

Suzuki is trying to become the first player in major league history to get at least 200 hits in his first four seasons.

join