It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Cards DT to need surgery

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The Arizona Cardinals' roster attrition continued Wednesday, when the news broke that defensive tackle Kenny King will need surgery on his right wrist and probably miss the season.

King, a fifth-round draft pick last season, had been battling rookie Darnell Dockett for the starting job on the right, or "under," side of the defense.
But he reinjured wrist tendons that had been surgically repaired once this year. King missed practice Tuesday to have his injury diagnosed in Phoenix.

"He tried to have it fixed in May, I guess, or April, and it's going to be a tough go," coach Dennis Green said about getting King back. "Because it (rehabilitation) was four months before, and it didn't work."

In a move to bolster the pass rush following last week's 23-6 exhibition loss at Minnesota, Green moved Dockett to left defensive end.

That's where the third-round selection from Florida State will stay for the time being -- Green said Dockett would play end in Saturday's game against San Diego in Tempe, Ariz.

"We moved him out there to get a look at home and see exactly how it goes," Green said. "It's a good team to go against, because they run the ball so well."

Ross Kolodziej will start at under tackle.

"I'm definitely excited to get on the field and play. I don't care what position," said Kolodziej, whose first three years were divided between the New York Giants and San Francisco. "It's unfortunate the situation that Kenny's in, but in this sport that's always an issue."

The return of rookie defensive end Antonio Smith from a shoulder injury should ease the crunch on the defensive line, and Green promised to watch the waiver wire

Before training camp opened, Green was worried about three players who had wrist operations in the spring. Defensive end Fred Wakefield and cornerback Renaldo Hill have had no wrist problems, although Wakefield got his third concussion in a year Saturday, and Hill has a strained hamstring.

King was the fourth starter -- first on defense -- lost to injury. The Cardinals have been practicing without wide receivers Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald and Bryant Johnson, all essential in the three-wideout offensive set that Green expects to play.
In addition, fullback James Hodgins (shoulder), who doesn't count as a starter because of the one-back offense, safety Dexter Jackson (back) and running back Marcel Shipp (broken leg) are out for an extended period.

Tight end Freddie Jones sat out Wednesday but said he would play against the Chargers, his former team.

"I rested my whole body," Jones joked about his mild groin strain. "There was a little tightness and soreness, which is normal for camp."

Notes: WR Chris Collins, claimed Monday after the Vikings released him, had difficulty getting a connection out of Jackson, Miss., and missed two days, but made the Wednesday evening practice. ... The Cardinals claimed S Ifeanyi Ohalete off waivers from Washington and waived CB Eric Joyce.

new topics

join