It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Weightlifter fails drugs test

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Morrocan women's weightlifter Wafa Ammouri has failed a drugs test and been sent home from the Olympics, Moroccan team sources said today.

Ammouri, who was to compete in the women's 63kg division today, became the second female weightlifter to fail a drugs test after Myanmar's Nan Aye Khine was expelled on Monday.

The 19-year-old was a no-show as competition got underway at the Nikaia Weightlifting Hall.

The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) came down hard on drug cheats after the sport's future in the Olympics was threatened following a number of high-profile cases.

But they admit that the rewards for success are so great that athletes continue to pump up their already muscle-bound bodies to lift even heavier weights.

Weightlifting's first Olympic drug cheats were unmasked at the 1976 Montreal Games, with two medallists being kicked out, and despite a strict anti-drug regime three Bulgarian medal winners tested positive at the Sydney Games.

Two of those lifters, gold medallist Izabela Dragneva and Sevdalin Angelov, competed in Athens after resurrecting their careers following a drug ban.

Neither finished in the medals.

Associated Press

Ben

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is a sport where i wont be surprised if i dont hear about more people failling.

TRD

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well it's not the first one in the games and i don't think it will be the last. A few have been sent home now in other events aswell.

new topics

join