It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Greece's first gold comes in synchro diving

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Athens, Greece (Sports Network) - Synchronized divers Nikolaos Siranidis and Thomas Bimis won Greece's first gold medal at the Athens Olympics with a stunning performance in men's three-meter synchronized springboard Monday night.

The Greeks in attendance reacted wildly, cheering and waving flags for their countrymen on the same day it was announced that a disciplinary hearing for national track heroes Kostas Kenteris and Ekaterina Thanou was suspended until Wednesday.

"We are in a fairy tale," Siranidis said afterwards. "We feel the warmth of the Greek people around us, and I can hardly speak."

Siranidis and Bimis finished with 353.34 total points to best the silver medalist Austrian team of Andreas Wels and Tobias Schellenberg, who had 350.01.

Australians Robert Newbery and Steven Barnett won the bronze.

Americans Justin and Troy Dumais finished a disappointing sixth, faltering on their last dive when they were sitting in second place. They finished 26.28 points behind the gold medalists.

Ben

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Is this one of the hardest sports or what?

TRD

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Yeah i have been watching it and i take my hat off to them. It looks and i bet it is really difficult.

The Greeks were a bit lucky as the Chinese (i think) who were favourites messed up their final dive and they had been leading for the whole thing. Also another team in contention for the gold messed up aswell. So it sorta handed the gold to the greeks on a plate.

join