It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Singh wins playoff for second PGA title

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Kohler, WI (AP) - Vijay Singh birdied the first extra hole of the a three-hole aggregate playoff on Sunday, then made two pars to defeat Chris DiMarco and Justin Leonard and win his second PGA Championship.

Singh won the title in 1998, then donned the green jacket with a win at the 2000 Masters. It was also Singh's fifth win of the season, virtually assuring himself Player of the Year honors.

Singh, the third-round leader, struggled to a four-over 76 in the final round. Leonard, who held a two-shot lead on the back nine, shot a 75 and DiMarco posted a one-under 71. The trio finished regulation knotted at eight-under-par 280. At the closing hole, Singh held a one-shot lead and hit a three-wood off the tee, while DiMarco and Leonard both found the fairway off the tee. Singh hit a utility wood 45 feet from the flag.

Leonard and DiMarco both missed the putting surface, then DiMarco blasted a bunker shot 35 feet past the hole. Leonard chipped five feet by the flag so Singh needed to two-putt for the title. Singh lagged his birdie putt a foot from the stick. He marked, then quickly tapped in for the par and the win.

"I played really well in the playoff," said Singh, who pocketed $1,125,000 for the win. "My putter kind of fell asleep on me, but I got a new life."

On the first extra hole, No. 10 at Whistling Straits, DiMarco and Leonard hit fairway-metals off the tee. Singh pulled driver and ran his tee ball just short of the green. DiMarco's approach took a bad bounce into the rough, while Leonard hit his second 20 feet from the hole on the back fringe. Singh pitched to six feet. DiMarco's chip rolled four feet right of the hole and Leonard's birdie try ran three feet by. Singh sank his birdie putt and the two others made par to give Singh the advantage.

At the par-three 17th, Singh hit the shot of the tournament with a three-iron that hit the slope in the center of the green. The ball ran down five feet from the cup. DiMarco's tee ball barley missed the putting surface some 80 feet short and Leonard landed in the rough on the right side.

Leonard pitched his second inside four feet and DiMarco chipped his birdie effort to four feet. Singh stepped up and missed the birdie putt left. All three made their shortish par putts and 18 was once again the stage for a great finale.

Ernie Els and Chris Riley each bogeyed 18 in regulation to fall one short of the playoff. They posted one-over 73s and tied for fourth at seven-under-par 281. Masters champion Phil Mickelson shot a two-over 74 and tied for sixth with K.J. Choi (70) and Paul McGinley (69) at minus-six. Tiger Woods, a two-time former champion, only managed a one-over 73 and shared 24th place at two-under-par 286.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
They were talking about Singh's workout routine before the round started - it's no wonder he won! Twice a day...every day? When he was walking to the last few holes he looked like he was just out for a stroll down the street. He had no signs of wear - When I get to number 18, I'm tired, pissed and will eat your head off - lol Singh is just an incredible golfer all around...

A little of topic, but IMO I think Tiger will come back...who knows when tho - and I can't stand Mickelson...not b/c he's a lefty, but just his whole attitude is way too cocky and arrogant :smug:

join