It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Peerless Price believes 2004 will be his year

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) - After an agonizing first year with the Atlanta Falcons, Peerless Price is eager to make amends. New coach Jim Mora understands the receiver's frustration over a disappointing 2003 season.

"Yeah, coach Mora kids me all the time, like 'You're not going to be a decoy on this route,' " Price said Sunday after practice. "I know those guys will make an honest effort to find ways to get me the ball so I can make plays."

Atlanta's new offense, which first-year coordinator Greg Knapp designed to rave reviews the last three seasons in San Francisco, should be right for Price. He moved to flanker during the spring in hopes of creating favorable matchups with linebackers and safeties who might struggle to cover him.

"I think it's going to be a great year -- the kind of year I expected last year is going to happen a year later," Price said. "I think it's going to give me more opportunities to make plays. Coach Knapp, you look at some of the guys he's coached -- Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens -- they played flanker and that's the spot I'm going to be playing."

Knapp has the team's two fastest receivers, Michael Jenkins and Dez White, competing for the starting job at wideout. Brian Finneran moved to No. 2 flanker, but he is an exceptional blocker and coaches consider him the team's best route runner -- assets that could free Price to be even more dangerous in three- and four-receiver sets.

"We're learning a new offense, and you've got to get your timing and stuff down," Price said. "I've just got to fine-tune those skills."

Great fanfare accompanied Price's arrival 17 months ago. The Falcons traded their first-round draft pick to Buffalo so quarterback Michael Vick would finally have the top-flight wideout he coveted. Owner Arthur Blank rewarded Price with a new contract that included a $10 million signing bonus, but the team's hopes crashed when Vick broke his leg in a preseason game.

Coming off a career year with the Bills that included 94 catches, 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns, Price finished 64-838-3, but the inaccuracy of Atlanta quarterbacks didn't help. The Falcons completed just 50 percent of their pass attempts, worst in the NFL. The return of Vick, who led Atlanta to the second round of the 2002 playoffs, and a consistent rushing attack should prevent the Falcons from finishing last in third-down efficiency and time of possession for the second straight year.

"Peerless is going to have a breakout year," Vick said. "I can feel it. He can, too."

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
He could very well struggle without a solid #2 receiver on the other side, teams will most likely double team him without much of a threat from the other receiver positions. Price was great in Buffalo when he had Moulds on the other side to compliment him.

When alot of QB's get in trouble from a pass rush, they often just throw the ball to their top WR and hope he makes a play, Vick likes to tuck the ball away and take off with his lightning speed.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Ay carumba! (I don't think I spelled that right....) People have been raving about the Falcons all offseason and I'm just sick of it. Michael Vick may be the single best overall player in the league but that is far from making the Falcons the single best team in the league.

You HAVE to have a defence to win in the league and that is something the Falcons don't have! Once there is a defence (and not just a defensive coach) we can talk Super Bowl.

new topics

join