It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Iraq into Olympic Football quarter-finals

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Iraq became the first team to reach the Olympic men's football quarter-finals with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Costa Rica today. Second-half goals from Hawar Mohammed and substitute Mahdi Karim in Athens gave war-weary Iraq a perfect six points from two games in Group D of the men's soccer competition.

Iraq's Under-23 side, who have endured extreme hardship to qualify for the Olympics, stunned Portugal 4-2 in their opening game. Iraq reached the Asian Cup quarter-finals last month.

Meanwhile, Parma striker Alberto Gilardino scored twice as Italy beat 3-2, knocking the East Asians out of the Olympics.

Japan became the first team to be eliminated from the men's competition after being outclassed by Italy in Volos.

Italy went top of Group B on four points, ahead of Ghana on goals scored. The African side beat Paraguay 2-1 in Thessaloniki.

Manchester United midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo was on target when Portugal got their campaign back on track with a 2-1 win over Morocco.

Reuters

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I really don't like soccer or as Europeans call it football, but that game was great. I really hope they take home a gold.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
The Italians could really use a gold. It would boost their morale when it comes to World Cups and Euro matches.

I am also saying this out of sympathy.

The soccer teams at the olympics are next to nothing, as in they are really bad. Italians seem to have become conditioned to loosing, and the coach is almost guaranteed being fired.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
The Italians could really use a gold. It would boost their morale when it comes to World Cups and Euro matches.

I am also saying this out of sympathy.

The soccer teams at the olympics are next to nothing, as in they are really bad. Italians seem to have become conditioned to loosing, and the coach is almost guaranteed being fired.

Italy has the best soccer team in the world! They will win world cup 2006 & will win Gold on the Olympics, probaly in final against Argentina or Portugal...

*conditioned to loosing?
Ok, look...
1990; Lost in Semi-Final against Argentina on Penalty's!(even tho Italy played better)
1994; Lost in Final against Brasile...again on Penalty's...(was a very hot day...so...was a pretty boring match)
1996; Out in the first round because ZOLA missed a penalty against Germany...
1998; Lost in 1/4-Final against France...again on Penalty's...
2000; Lost the Final because France scored the equalizer in 3 min injury time(93) ...then France scored the golden goal in Extra time. (Italy desereved to win!)
2002;...Oh my...Was that a world cup or world flop? Italy went out because 5 'good' goals were canceled...Happend also to Spain, USA...Refferee's on amateur basis...
2004; Italy went out because Sweden & Denmark Agreed on a 2-2 result...So, Italy with the same points as number one in the group is out because 2 neighbours wanted the good team out...

Olympic Gold for soccer is for Italy...
2006 world cup in Germany...revenge will be sweet

GreetZ

[Edited on 8/16/04 by Italiano]

new topics

top topics

join