It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Embarrassing 92-73 loss for US Basketball

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- In an upset as historic as it was inevitable, Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson and the rest of the U.S. basketball team lost 92-73 to Puerto Rico on Sunday, only the third Olympic defeat ever for the Americans.

It was also the most lopsided loss in the games for the U.S. team, alarming not only for its significance but also for its decisiveness.

Puerto Rico, which had lost to the Americans five times in the past 13 months, took control in the first half, led by 22 at halftime and gamely held off a fourth-quarter comeback for one of the biggest sports achievements in the island territory's history.

The loss was a blow to the Americans' confidence, but it did little to hurt their gold medal chances. They need only to finish in the top four of their six-team group to reach the quarterfinals.

Still, the defeat will go a long way toward giving the competition the bold idea that it's someone else's turn to move to the top of a sport that's been dominated by one country for nearly three-quarters of a century.

As Carlos Arroyo left the court with just over a minute left, he defiantly pulled at the words "Puerto Rico" on his jersey. He led his team with 24 points.

Anyone in America who didn't see this coming hadn't been paying attention to the way international basketball has been changing. The U.S. nearly lost in the semifinals at Sydney on a last-second miss by Lithuania, then dropped three games on its home turf at the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis -- the first losses ever by a U.S. team of NBA professionals.

This year's team, weakened by the defections and rejections of 12 top players, opened its pre-Olympic tour of Europe with a 17-point loss to Italy and a last-second victory over Germany -- a pair of games in which their vulnerability to a tight zone defense was clearly exposed.

Puerto Rico used that defensive strategy, too, and the Americans could do next to nothing against it.

After Lamar Odom made their first 3-pointer, the Americans missed 16 straight. They tried to get the ball inside, but Puerto Rico collapsed several defenders into the paint and took the U.S. team's best player, Duncan, out of the offensive equation.

American teams had been 24-0 since the professional Olympic era began with the 1992 Dream Team, but now there is a blemish on their record to go with their two losses to the Soviet Union in the 1972 gold medal game and the 1988 semifinals.

They handled the loss to Puerto Rico with grace, congratulating their opponents and joining them in a huddle at center court before both teams exited to a standing ovation.

The U.S Olympic team's record now stands at 109-3.

[Edited on 8/15/2004 by Ben]

TRD

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Bad loss but as i've been told it's only the prelims so plenty of time for them to pick up.

Ben

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
They cant another loss, but im going out and saying they arnt going to win a game PERIOD. They should no energy what so every in playing as a team, and it just seemed as though they didnt want to be there. Also when they were down everybody on the bench looked like they really didnt want to be there showing no energy trying to get htere team back in there. And if you look on the PR bench, it showed the players clapping, giving each other high ffives and things liek that.

No Dream team this year, they ARNT A TEAM.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I can't believe they lost to Puerto rico. We beat them by like 20 when we played them earlier this year. I think they'll win some games, but I'm not giving them the Gold medal. There's no teamwork there, and their passing and shooting has been horrific.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
That'll teach em to mess with Puerto Rico BIATCH!!!!

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Bad loss but as i've been told it's only the prelims so plenty of time for them to pick up.

Well problem for me is not so much they lost but what the AP report said that they got routed and embarrassed. If they lost by one to 5 points. Fine. But this is worrysome.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
sou;nds to me like they failed the EGO test, thought that this would be another cakewalk and are finding out too late that it isn't

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
this is what happens when you dont play for love of the game like these newer players seem to now in our country, defense and shooting are nothing like they used to be with nba players, everyone has learned that man to man d doesnt work on nba players because their skills, so they use zone defence and other indirect defence types and they force them to shoot and actually play instead of getting all flashy and dunking on everyone.

Ben

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thats they way to win and such agaisnt people that dont want to be there. And you can picture how the americans especially the younger ones are out there partying the night away.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Ben

its a shame too, we should bring back college players who would love to be there.

Ben

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
we have another discussion going on in this thread as well www.sportztawk.com...

And iw as saying we definatly should bring up the college players they will play for something instead of money and greed, all they wanna do is party and then show off, come on this is different stopping being such stuck up ball players that cant play a team game if there life dependend on it because they are to selifish and self centered to think any other way.

And then they go and blame it on the Refs, i read in the paper this mornign that USA basketball was saying how the refs favord PR in the game.

new topics

top topics

join