It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Thorpe bests Phelps in 200m semifinal heat

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Athens, Greece (Sports Network) - Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe edged out rising American Michael Phelps in a semifinal heat of the men's 200-meter freestyle event Sunday night at the Athens Games.

With the two highest-profile swimmers matched up in lanes next to each other, Thorpe got the best of the 19-year-old American, qualifying for Monday's final in a time of 1 minute, 46.65 seconds.

Phelps, who would need a win in this event Monday to have a chance at breaking Mark Spitz's 1972 record of seven gold medals in one Olympics, was .43 seconds behind Thorpe. Aussie Grant Hackett was third.

The best time in the 200-meter freestyle semifinals went to defending Olympic champion Pieter van den Hoogenband of the Netherlands, as he won his heat in 1:46 flat. American Klete Keller was second in that semifinal, but more than a full second behind.

Thorpe and Phelps are already gold medal winners at these Olympics. Phelps, who captured the gold medal in the 400-meter individual medley in world record fashion Saturday, while Thorpe won a gold medal in the 400-meter freestyle.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Wow, this should be a great final on Monday night. I'm going to make sure I watch this one.

TRD

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Yeah PA i have this on my list to watch. Most of the swimming has been real good so far.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Yeah PA i have this on my list to watch. Most of the swimming has been real good so far.

No doubt there has been some exciting swim relays.

I'm only a swimming fan every four years.

Ben

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
very close matchup it will be in the finals, as in the semi you dont really give all out.

top topics

join