It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Munyasia appeals against Olympic exclusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
ATHENS, Aug 14 (Reuters) - Kenya's only Olympic boxer, David Munyasia, thrown out of the Athens Games for testing positive for a banned substance, filed an appeal against the decision with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Saturday.

The 24-year-old bantamweight was ousted last Tuesday after testing positive for cathine, a substance from the leaf of the qat plant, commonly chewed as a recreational drug in east Africa.

He has repeatedly said he is innocent of any wrongdoing.

On Saturday the CAS said: "The appellant puts forward that the prohibited substance found in his urine has not been ingested knowingly and that he never intended to use banned substances.

"He requests CAS to order that his urine samples be analysed by another laboratory."

The hearing, which will not be public, will take place on Sunday.

Having returned home, on Friday the boxer denied he had taken anything improper.

"I am clean. I have never taken qat or any drug. I believe there was a mistake somewhere," Munyasia told reporters after arriving in Nairobi.

He added: "I am asking Kenyans to forgive me and I promise to bring them the gold in 2008."

Munyasia said he remembered only drinking coffee and a Red Bull energy drink prior to being tested and taking an antibiotic to clear up a boil.

His was the first positive case among more then 200 dope tests carried out on athletes arriving in Athens since late last month.

The Olympic bantamweight competition begins on Tuesday.

[Edited on 14-8-2004 by Ocelot]

[Edited on 14-8-2004 by Ocelot]

join