It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Late birdies save Tiger Woods

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
World No.1 Tiger Woods scrambled to birdie two of his final three holes today in the second round at the 86th PGA Championship, extending his consecutive cuts streak to 129. The streak dates back over six years to the Pebble Beach Pro-Am where Woods withdrew at four-over par after two rounds of a rain-shortened 54-hole tournament.

"It is one of those things that I am proud of," Woods said. "I think people do take it for granted because its not very easy to do and it's lasted a few years. Not too many people have been able to play as consistent as I have for a longer period of time."

Woods shot a three-under 69 on today to go with a opening round 75 and finished right on the cut number at even par 144. He is nine shots back of co-leaders Vijay Singh and Justin Leonard. Eight-time major winner Woods has a knack for winning tournaments but today he showed his ability to scramble with the best.

"I had to grind it out and be patient. If I was playing well it would be no big deal - just try to get myself in contention for the weekend. But I wasn't playing well."

But with all the talk of streaks, Woods continues to struggle in major championships, going 0-for-9 in the last nine. Today, Woods was three-over heading into Whistling Straits' signature finishing holes. He needed a five-foot putt for birdie on 16 and a 25 footer on 17 before parring the 18th.

"I was thinking about it (streak) a little because I wasn't playing well," Woods said.

He credited his ability to keep the streak alive to the business-like approach he and caddie Steve Williams took on the back nine.

"We worked hard on the back nine trying to plot our way along," Woods said. "We just stayed focussed on what we were trying to do. It was a nice team effort."

Byron Nelson has the second-longest consecutive streak without missing a cut with 113 from 1941-1948. Third is Jack Nicklaus at 105 from 1970 to 1976. Now that Woods has rescued his cuts streak he will need to focus his energy on wining his ninth career major and not losing his World No.1 ranking.

In one of the numerous complicated scenarios, South African Ernie Els could vault into No.1 if he wins, and Woods finishes in a three-way tie for second. Or if Els finishes second alone, and Woods finishes 16th alone.

Wood, who has held the No.1 ranking since 1999, recently equalled Greg Norman's record of 331 weeks at No.1. Singh lost his chance at No.1 this week when Woods made the cut.

Associated Press

new topics

join