It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: The games open in spectacular fashion

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
THE opening ceremony of the Athens Olympics has begun with a huge drum beating to the rhythm of the human heart.

Two video screens at either end of the Olympic stadium featured runners - the only sport in the first 13 ancient Olympics - before 400 percussionists flowed down the aisles of the stadium and around a lake in the centre.

The ceremony kicked off with a spectacular pyrotechnic comet which was launched from a video screen and set five giant Olympic rings on the surface of the lake ablaze.

A capacity crowd of 72,000 roared with excitement as the rings were ignited.

Athletes from 202 countries will soon march into the stadium, but just 160 of Australia's 482-member team will participate because of sporting commitments in the coming days.

[Edited on 13/8/04 by TRD]

TRD

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Greece was the birthplace of the ancient Olympics in 776 BC and hosted the first modern Games in 1896 and Athenians showed their delight in welcoming the Olympics back to their spiritual "home".

They gave the 9,000 performers a rousing reception as the theatrical show came to a close, before welcoming the procession of athletes.

However, several top names including American swimming star Michael Phelps and his Australian rival Ian Thorpe, chose not to attend.

They are in action on Saturday when a host of sports stage their first events, including swimming, cycling, rowing, sailing and boxing.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Thank god its nearly over, I'm almost Opening-Ceremony'd out.

The station that is broadcasting the ceremony down here replayed the sydney ceremony just before this one started. (Thankfully cutting out about half of the teams walking out section). Of course being the genius I am I watched that too. Lets just someone get a bic and get this show on the road!

TRD

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Yeah i'm am just starting to get a little bored, they have some signing going on now so hopefully it won't be much longer.

There is a few events starting Saturday morining including swimming, cycling, rowing, sailing and boxing.

Be proud, Fly the flag.....

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Cauldron lit.

TRD

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Yeah the fireworks look really cool....

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I was watching it on TV. It was all pretty cool, except for a boring tableaux through Greek history.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I watched a bit of it and it wasn't too bad at all. But all i say is bring on the games!!

top topics

join