It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Kurt to start, Eli relieve vs. Chiefs

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
New York. Kurt Warner will start ahead of Eli Manning in the Giants' exhibition opener.

Coach Tom Coughlin made that announcement Wednesday, but added that the competition for the starting job between the two-time MVP and the No. 1 pick in last April's draft remains tight.

"Are they even? I would say 'Yes,' " Coughlin said is designating Warner to start Friday night against Kansas City at Giants Stadium. "Whoever has the opportunity to play with the starters, that's who usually has his better practices. From that standpoint, they are. Now we will see how they separate out."

Warner will play into the second quarter, with Manning running the offense until at least the middle of the third quarter. Jesse Palmer will finish.

"I've been a backup before so it won't be hard," said Manning, who signed a six-year, $45 million contract last month. "Kurt's already played a bunch of games, and he knows what it's like. It's my job to watch and learn from him and just try to get a feel of the game."

The last time Manning didn't start was at Mississippi as a redshirt freshman in 2001. He played six games as a reserve.

Getting the starting nod didn't surprise Warner, the former St. Louis Ram signed by the Giants in June to give them a veteran to run the team until Manning was ready.

"Just the way things played out in practice, I don't want to say I assumed that, but it looked like it was leaning in that direction, at least for this first game," Warner said

join