It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Corrales stops Freitas in 10th round

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
MASHANTUCKET, Conn. (AP) - Diego Corrales took the WBO lightweight title from Acelino Freitas, stopping the previously undefeated Brazilian in the 10th round Saturday night.

Corrales, from Sacramento, Calif., floored Freitas three times, with the Brazilian telling referee Michael Ortega that he didn't want to continue after he hit the canvas at 1:24 of the 10th round.

"I figured he would get tired. He couldn't maintain that pace," Corrales said. "I knew if I kept my focus, eventually, I would close the gap."

Freitas (35-1) controlled the early part of the fight staying away from the stalking Corrales and using an overhand right to do some damage. After seven rounds Corrales (39-2) was down big on all three scorecards.

But midway through the eighth round, a three-punch flurry on the ropes ended with a right hand that floored Freitas.

Corrales kept coming at Freitas and knocked him down with a counter right in the ninth. Freitas spit his mouthpiece out, the second time he had done so, and Ortega docked him a point.

In the 10th, Corrales worked Freitas into the corner and followed up a left to the body with an overhand right as Freitas went to a knee. When he got up, Ortega asked him if he wanted to continue.

On the undercard, Thailand's Yodsanan Nanthachai retained his WBA superfeatherweight title, unanimously outpointing Steve Forbes.

All three judges scored the fight 117-111. Nanthacai, making his debut in the United States, improved to 43-2-1. Forbes is 24-3.

join