posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 08:33 PM
Audley Harrison has denied that he has agreed a fight against British heavyweight champion Matt Skelton.
The WBF champion is to contest the national belt, but said claims that a date had been agreed were "premature".
Harrison said a news release put out by Skelton's promoter Frank Warren on Wednesday was "totally inappropriate".
"Unless there are signed contracts, which will give me 100% confidence that we have a fair and agreed upon deal, there is no fight to announce."
Harrison said that he had been "quite confident that a deal for the fight was close to being made".
Warren had said there would be a news conference on Thursday to announce the date of the fight.
Skelton and his promoter Frank Warren have been calling on Harrison to accept the challenge, the biggest domestic fight for many years.
Welshman Joe Calzaghe was also expected to defend his WBO super-middleweight title on the same card.
Story from BBC SPORT:
Published: 2004/08/04 20:28:25 GMT
© BBC MMIV