It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Williams eyes Tyson rematch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Danny Williams will put his world title dreams on hold to seek a lucrative rematch with Mike Tyson.

The 31-year-old sent shockwaves through the boxing world when he beat the former world champion in four rounds in Louisville on Friday.

"I think people may doubt my victory so I would like to give Mike another beating," Williams said.

"I'd like to fight him one more time to show it wasn't a fluke and I can still perform a lot better than this."

Williams is desperate to fulfil a lifelong ambition and challenge for the world crown, but he is willing to put that on hold for the potentially more lucrative option of persuading Tyson back into the ring.

"I'd love for the fight to be in London and it would be nice to give the British fans something by beating him up even worse next time," Williams added.

The Londoner expects to lose £100,000 of his purse, after a last-minute dispute with the local promoter.

He was placated with £40,000 in cash from the box office and was urged by his promoter, Frank Warren, to forget the shortfall.

Warren said: "I said to Danny, you aren't going to get any more money out of this but this is a fight you can win.

"Now Danny is in the driving seat. It is all about securing the right financial future for him and his family.

"There is no rematch clause with Tyson but we will take it if the money is right."

Williams added: "After fighting Tyson again I'd like to go straight into a world title shot.

"I don't think any of the champions out there are the moment are that great.

"Vitali Klitschko is a stand-up boxer and I'd hit him with body shots, take him down and become the next world champion."

Tyson's future is far less rosy, but it seems inevitable the fading 38-year-old will fight on.

His defeat cost him a lucrative £40m deal with promoter Bob Arum which would have gone some way towards erasing his considerable debts.

"We're going to have a long talk about Mike's future - whether he wants to go to retirement or whether we'll chase a rematch with Williams," said Tyson's trainer Freddie Roach.

"It's impossible to make a decision just like that. We're going to have a long talk about it."

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/08/01 13:11:24 GMT

© BBC MMIV

TRD

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
More on the story..

www.sportztawk.com...

new topics

join