It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Davenport rolls on at Acura; Sharapova falls

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) -- Maria Sharapova has a Wimbledon championship and much glitz and glamour. Anastasia Myskina is a French Open champion with more experience.

Myskina's savvy paid off in a 7-5, 6-2 victory over the erratic Sharapova in the Acura Classic quarterfinals Friday night that ended Sharapova's 14-match winning streak.

"I'm only 17," said Sharapova, who was visibly subdued and appeared near tears. "When I get to her age, I'll be a lot more experienced player and probably physically stronger. She's been around, she finds a way to win."

Serena Williams withdrew from the $1.3 million tournament Friday because of swelling in her left knee, the same one she had operated on a year ago that kept her off the WTA Tour for eight months.

In the other quarterfinals, Lindsay Davenport defeated Ai Sugiyama 6-1, 6-3 and Elena Dementieva defeated Amy Frazier 6-2, 6-1 in 62 minutes. She and Davenport will meet in one of Saturday's semifinals at La Costa Resort and Spa, while Myskina faces Vera Zvonareva, who advanced when Williams withdrew.

join